Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Cleaner than Stock, Faster than Phock
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I bought the Coil-over part list from Mo's website, www.ndneyes.com

Since the 1985 shock towers are wimpy and narrow, I cut them as seen in the pic below.

Then I machined some 1/4" thick 1018 CRS to match the same angles as the stock towers and ol'RJ welded them up.

The last pic is just the mock up of the new QA1 in the new tower.

We will weld the towers on tomorrow and i will post some new pics in a few days, once the wheel well area is cleaned and repainted,.

:cheers: welded on, will wire brush and paint this week

·
Premium Member
3,766 Posts
Looks like a nice install you have there. If you still have the old piece, could you add a photo showing them side by side so we can see the improvement?

·
Registered
515 Posts
Looks great!! Are coilovers really better than the leafspring setup? I've heard both have good effects on handling, I was just wondering which is truly better.

·
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Looks like a nice install you have there. If you still have the old piece, could you add a photo showing them side by side so we can see the improvement?

·
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks great!! Are coilovers really better than the leafspring setup? I've heard both have good effects on handling, I was just wondering which is truly better.
The stock stuff is hard to beat and the Coilovers a probably not Better, but the coilovers offer adjustable spring rate and adjustable ride height.

·
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
its been a slow go but here it is,,, I wont know how the ride wil lturn out until the engine is back in. Also, I only put new lower Ball joints in and replaced the upper BJ boots.

·
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:thumbsup:
Wow it looks like it came that way. Very nice! Wanna come do mine?
Thanks Dan & Kubs

Its good to hear you state that it looks like it came that way. I used 3/8" (.375) thick cold rolled 1018 steel on top plate and the same 1018,,, 1/4" (.250) thick CRS on the side plates.

It is sturdy for sure. Stock was 1/8" (.125) thick and the newer Vettes have 5/32" (.160) thick.

Really cutting the old tower off was the hardest part,,,, also,,,, you only have the thin towers if you have an 84,85, 86, 87 and i am pretty sure you can get away using the stock towers for coiloers after 1987 model year.

·
Registered
432 Posts
just wondering if you bought the coilovers from exoticmuscle because thats the only place i know of that sales coilovers for that year and mine(88)....by the way fantastic job on your car....:thumbsup:

·
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
just wondering if you bought the coilovers from exoticmuscle because thats the only place i know of that sales coilovers for that year and mine(88)....by the way fantastic job on your car....:thumbsup:
Hey clint43,, word of caution,,,, do not do what I did:crazy: ,, call Exotic Muscle or Doug Rippe and but their off the shelf product.

I only did this "beacuse I can" but I dont recommend this on an 85 unless you can weld and run a brideport milling machine.

:thumbsup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts