Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Braun's findings, published last week in an online version of the journal Nature Nanotechnology, could lead to an EV charging time comparable to that for filling a tank of gas. Smaller objects like cell phones could charge in well under a minute, Braun said.

"We have batteries in the lab that can charge in tens of seconds," he said.

When a battery charges, energy moves between its cathode and anode. When a battery powers a product, or discharges, energy travels the opposite way, between its anode and cathode. Braun's group came up with a three-dimensional nanostructure for the battery cathode that allows its batteries to charge at a much faster rate than conventional batteries.

Read the rest here.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Man I love technology.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Those have got to cost a fortune

Cause I was looking at Lithium Ion for the vette today

And they run about $1100-$1200

Which means I'll be keeping my AGM Battery for Awhile

Either that or I'll have to design my own down the road

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
Braun's findings, published last week in an online version of the journal Nature Nanotechnology, could lead to an EV charging time comparable to that for filling a tank of gas. Smaller objects like cell phones could charge in well under a minute, Braun said.

"We have batteries in the lab that can charge in tens of seconds," he said.

When a battery charges, energy moves between its cathode and anode. When a battery powers a product, or discharges, energy travels the opposite way, between its anode and cathode. Braun's group came up with a three-dimensional nanostructure for the battery cathode that allows its batteries to charge at a much faster rate than conventional batteries.

Read the rest here.
Great post. Thnx! :cheers:

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Near the end of the article, they hint at a potential stumbling block. It's one thing to quick charge a camera battery. There aren't a lot of total amps involved. But charging an EV car battery in a few minutes would require more power in a short period of time than any regular electric service could deliver. I'm sure this can be overcome, but it likely won't involve charging at home as they currently do.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
This is exactly why we should be investing in green technology!

Although the nanostructure makes the batteries 20 to 30 percent denser, Braun said the biggest improvement is the rapidity of the charging.

Braun's group worked for about two years on the nanostructure. Since the nanostructure is applied to a battery's cathode, he said, the next step is to study improving the anode, along with further increasing battery density.
Does increasing the density mean a higher charge capacity per pound or does this technology make the battery more heavy for a given charge capacity?

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is exactly why we should be investing in green technology!

Does increasing the density mean a higher charge capacity per pound or does this technology make the battery more heavy for a given charge capacity?
density = mass/volume

Makes the battery heavier.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
density = mass/volume

Makes the battery heavier.
I understand that. I have a hard time believing that the charge capacity is identical for a battery of the same size. IE does the heavier more mechanically dense battery provide increased/decreased energy density? The article doesnt mention anything.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts