Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently aquired an 1980 corvette. mods are as follows: 93 LT1, ZF 6speed, CC503, Ported and Polished heads, 918 springs, 1.52 magnum roller rockers,
Ported intake, Full length headers, E cutouts, PCMFORLESS tune, 3.73s. I have been advised not to use drag radials because the alluminum diff is not strong enough. Will BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KDW NT be too sticky? Has anyone else used this tire before?

Attachments

·
Registered
552 Posts
What good's a hot car that can't be stepped on? Run it til it breaks then fix it better.

I think you'll probably be fine, plus when you launch the camber change is going to reduce contact patch, and short sidewall tires are especially finicky in that regard. The more traditional 15" drag tires are able to flex and cope slightly better than your tire choice. So when people say do or don't factor in that your large diameter rims are just never going to hook like a set of 15" cheater slicks.

Wheelhop will kill a marginal rearend faster than anything else. So also factor in if your car hops, and if it does, how far you're willing to go to eliminate hop.

enjoy the car!

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
I have heard there are some companies out there that will rebuild the aluminum diffs for more power handling.

Gary is not one of those options, but he might be able to suggest one.

Also, it isn't always or only the power and 'stick' of the tires, but how it's driven, or abused, that kills rear ends. The transmission is probably not a weak point, but the shaft joints are. If they have not been addressed I would also be careful about breaking a joint and destroying your under body with a flailing half shaft.

If you plan on using every bit of power you can, invest in some other aspects of the car. Stronger joints and hoops for the half shafts. Maybe a rear end rebuild for strength...as much is possible anyway for the aluminum diffs.

How's the suspension? Good suspension keeps powerful cars planted. Good brakes stops them when you need to.

Plenty to consider when you ask the question of how much of your power plant do you intend on putting on the ground.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What good's a hot car that can't be stepped on? Run it til it breaks then fix it better.

I think you'll probably be fine, plus when you launch the camber change is going to reduce contact patch, and short sidewall tires are especially finicky in that regard. The more traditional 15" drag tires are able to flex and cope slightly better than your tire choice. So when people say do or don't factor in that your large diameter rims are just never going to hook like a set of 15" cheater slicks.

Wheelhop will kill a marginal rearend faster than anything else. So also factor in if your car hops, and if it does, how far you're willing to go to eliminate hop.

enjoy the car!
I agree I would love to drive the car the way i want all the time untill it breaks and then replace the part with something better but i got this problem......... availibility of funds. Yeah uh hurting in that department. I definatly need to take care of the car so she can take care of me. I understand that a 15 diameter wheel tire combo would get better grip and some day hope to have a couple of those for the strip. I wasnt aware that corvettes had alot of problems with wheel hop.......

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have heard there are some companies out there that will rebuild the aluminum diffs for more power handling.

Gary is not one of those options, but he might be able to suggest one.

Also, it isn't always or only the power and 'stick' of the tires, but how it's driven, or abused, that kills rear ends. The transmission is probably not a weak point, but the shaft joints are. If they have not been addressed I would also be careful about breaking a joint and destroying your under body with a flailing half shaft.

If you plan on using every bit of power you can, invest in some other aspects of the car. Stronger joints and hoops for the half shafts. Maybe a rear end rebuild for strength...as much is possible anyway for the aluminum diffs.

How's the suspension? Good suspension keeps powerful cars planted. Good brakes stops them when you need to.

Plenty to consider when you ask the question of how much of your power plant do you intend on putting on the ground.
Thanks for the advise, hoops for the half shafts sounds like a great idea I would tell you more about the suspension but i have yet to see the car in person. I pick it up from the seller in March. the car was lowered 2" in front and 4" in the rear. Not sure what technique he used to lower the car. The seller told me that any part of the suspension that showed wear was replaced. not sure also what has been replaced or done to the drive shaft.

·
Premium Member
10,261 Posts
hey Hunter, welcome to DC :cheers:

Glad to see that OneVette80's car is staying in the DC family:

If you do a search on threads that he's started you can probably get an idea of the history of the car :thumbsup:

·
Registered
117 Posts
Run whatever tires you want.
The life expectancy of your rear end will depend way more on how you use the clutch than what tires your running.
If you like to dump the clutch at high RPMs, youll break parts even with hard tires.
If you get ready to beef up that rear end, forum member tracdogg2 (MIke Dyer) has a very good reputation for his differential work, and he will work on the 80-82 diffs.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Nitto ENVO's!

My favorite street tire....by far!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts