Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Picked up a 91 convertable the other day. Paint is not that great but still looks decent, top has a few minor holes in it yet still looks nice, interior is in great shape. Yet the stereo and speakers have been replaced with an after market brands. Whomever did the install on it hacked all the wires. I replaced the stereo with a much nicer one as well as the speakers. Having trouble finding the wire for the antenna to work. Can anyone help me in locating the correct wire for the antenna? Other than that it runs great. Took it on a trip up in the mountains, 200 mile round trip and it did great.

·
Premium Member
13,918 Posts

Picked up a 91 convertable the other day. Paint is not that great but still looks decent, top has a few minor holes in it yet still looks nice, interior is in great shape. Yet the stereo and speakers have been replaced with an after market brands. Whomever did the install on it hacked all the wires. I replaced the stereo with a much nicer one as well as the speakers. Having trouble finding the wire for the antenna to work. Can anyone help me in locating the correct wire for the antenna? Other than that it runs great. Took it on a trip up in the mountains, 200 mile round trip and it did great.
Very nice, enjoy your new ride!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
182 Posts
Nice ride.

Antenna wire is pink.

The original location: It is one of 4 wires in a black plastic plug that is inserted into the original tuner.

Tuner location: Behind the fuse panel. Remove the hush panel under the right side of the dash. Remove the fuse panel cover.
Remove the 3 screws securing the fuse panel sorround & peal the dash carpet back.

If the original tuner is still in the car the plug will be on the right side near the back of the tuner.

The other wires besides the pink antenna wire are:
Orange = radio memory
White = keyed on, off.
black = grounds.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice ride.

Antenna wire is pink.

The original location: It is one of 4 wires in a black plastic plug that is inserted into the original tuner.

Tuner location: Behind the fuse panel. Remove the hush panel under the right side of the dash. Remove the fuse panel cover.
Remove the 3 screws securing the fuse panel sorround & peal the dash carpet back.

If the original tuner is still in the car the plug will be on the right side near the back of the tuner.

The other wires besides the pink antenna wire are:
Orange = radio memory
White = keyed on, off.
black = grounds.
Ah, thanks for the info. Orange, white and black I got figured out. Could not find the pink one, but will take a look today and see what I can find.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well i got the stereo to work properly, now I have an issue with the amp. Everything works fine with the car not started. Once I start the engine I get a horrible whinning noise with the amp all plugged in and working. Without the amp everything workd fine. Checked all wires for amp, constant positive, remote and ground. All seem to be fine, can't figure out why I get the whinning with the amp.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Well i got the stereo to work properly, now I have an issue with the amp. Everything works fine with the car not started. Once I start the engine I get a horrible whinning noise with the amp all plugged in and working. Without the amp everything workd fine. Checked all wires for amp, constant positive, remote and ground. All seem to be fine, can't figure out why I get the whinning with the amp.
Am not tuned in with the newer audio however in days gone by a condenser of sorts was used to eliminate engine noise from audio equipment.

Maybe disconnect the alternator & run the engine to determine if the interference is from the charging system or the ignition.

Once the source of interference is determined an audio shop should be able to suggest or supply the correct component to filter the noise.

Luck.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts