Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After my reverse went out back in the fall of 2010 I have been nursing and limping around looking for a transmission/time/money to repair it. I stumbled across Fkumro's post on his used transmission that will replace my unit. After all is said and done and based on the requirements that will be put on me, this was the best option. After tax returns and a free weekend it appears that it all may be coming together. I am waiting on the money order to clear and then for my trans to be sent to me. I haven't really gotten to work on this car for almost a year and now am getting excited that I get to go back in and do some work. While I'm in there I will be replacing my garbage clutch that has been limiting me to 4500 rpms for the last year and a half. All units will have their fluids changed as well. The removal and install seem pretty straight forward. There are a few things to be extra careful about and I think I know most of those issues. Are there any walkthroughs or how-to's on this forum? I have searched and found a few picture formats and see what I'm doing just trying to gather as much information as I possibly can.

Thanks guys,

Josh

·
Registered
606 Posts
Keep in mind of the main wiring harness that is above the drivetube and runs to the back of the car.

More times then not people don't and through process allow the tube or end of shaft to wack the harness and break or cause exposed wire that cause shorts later on.
Prevent end of driveshaft from swinging up and wacking loom.

Check drivetube bearings they wear and would be a good time to check or replace them.

If using an adjustable pressure plate do not forget to make the adjustment before buttoning everything up.

Check top of trannie and make sure the plastic vent cap is not melted shut or broken.

Assure where trannie and transaxle mate that there will not be a fluid leak later on.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. I will investigate the rubber coupling for the drive tube. I will try to see about upgrading depending on the material and price.

Josh

1 - 4 of 4 Posts