Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I just found your site and there apears to be tons of info on here. Awesome site! I have an 01 vert with 27k on the odo. I still have the original goodyear eagle run-flats on it but it's time for a new set. I primarily do highway driving when I use it and never race it. You guys might dog me but it has never been into the triple digits. Any recomendations for tires with my type of driving? Apreciate the help guys. Here is a pic of the baby for those interested.

·
Registered
8,067 Posts
Welcome to the site. I think Michelin makes a Run Flat that is an all season tire that from past reviews I have read (a few years ago) runs quieter and smoother than the GY. I beieve that Firestone discontinued their Firehawk RF. My son hd a set of those on his 00 a few years ago and they were not as harsh and ran quieter than the GY.
I currently have Michelin Pilot Sports on mine, they are not RFs, I carry a patch kit, compressor and floor jack with me.

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,439 Posts
Welcome to DC Nice looking vert. There are tires that are better than the GY's but a lot depends on what you are looking to get out of it. Good traction in both wet or dry conditions are probably important and since you aren't racing an EMT tire would probably be worth considering. You do give up some traction but the peace of mind would be worth it. As far a brand, someone with more experience will be better to give advise since I haven't kept a car long enough to buy tires in 4 or 5 years:laughing:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses guys. At the risk of sounding like a :crazy: what is an EMT tire. The main things I'm looking for are all weather performance and tire life. I'll look into the michelin run-flats, however before this car every other tire i've bought was a firestone. I don't know the first thing about the michelins. Thanks for your input guys.

·
Premium Member
6,667 Posts
EMT= Extended Mobility Tire (run flats)

I am on my second set of GY Eagle F1's ( factory tire for the Z06 ). My first set lasted ~28K mi. On my 94 I bought a set of Kumho Ecxtas, they were cheap money, pretty good traction, and lasted ~33k. If it hadn't been for a killer deal I recieved on this set of F1's I'd probly have another set of Kumho's. Just remember that the life of tires on later model (C4 and up) Vettes is pretty low because you can't rotate them.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
15 Posts
The Bad said:
EMT= Extended Mobility Tire (run flats)

I am on my second set of GY Eagle F1's ( factory tire for the Z06 ). My first set lasted ~28K mi. On my 94 I bought a set of Kumho Ecxtas, they were cheap money, pretty good traction, and lasted ~33k. If it hadn't been for a killer deal I recieved on this set of F1's I'd probly have another set of Kumho's. Just remember that the life of tires on later model (C4 and up) Vettes is pretty low because you can't rotate them.:thumbsup:
The Goodyear Z06 tires can be rotated side to side.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
54 Posts
I am on my second set of Michelin Pilot Sport ZP's. A set on my 99 Coupe and a new set on the CE . I believe in them so much that when I traded my 99 I had the dealer swap the used ZP's for the new GY's. The runflat is the only way to go for me I'm lazy and don't want to deal with plugging a tire and my wife drives the Vette from time to time. Good Luck

·
Registered
475 Posts
Car and Driver did a big test and the winner was the Eagle F1-GS D3. It's a non EMT tire so carry a tire inflator and get roadside assist. This tire is highly regarded and is exceptionally good in the wet. The issue was the comparo of the Z06 versus Viper entitle Shock and Awe.

·
Registered
27 Posts
32,000 miles on my Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Z/P. Not only look great but are QUIET and handle just fine. That's my 2 cts. Good Luck !

1 - 11 of 11 Posts