Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya,

This is my first time posting to the forum. I've been a long time C4 fan (probably ever since watching "Face" drive one on A-Team) and I'm finally thinking about buying one. I'd love to get a '92 or later wth a LT-1 and 6-speed, but I think that the price issue is probably going to keep me in the mid 80s with a 4+3.

Any advice for a first timer? Also, are certain years easier to work on?

Thanks!
:partyon:
Jeff

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
Welcome to DC,The C4 is a great vette. I would try for one that is an '88 or newer. Older than that had issues with wheel offsets ,targa top mount locations and cold start fuel injector issues.I owned a 4+3 and I loved having stick but I was not a real big fan of the 4+3. If you can get the 6-speed that would be your best choice.:buhbye:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome to DC,The C4 is a great vette. I would try for one that is an '88 or newer. Older than that had issues with wheel offsets ,targa top mount locations and cold start fuel injector issues.I owned a 4+3 and I loved having stick but I was not a real big fan of the 4+3. If you can get the 6-speed that would be your best choice.:buhbye:
Thanks for the advice! I drove a 4+3 a while ago and the car itself was great, but I wasn't a huge fan of the 4+3. It just seemed like an extra-complicated thing to break...

What was wrong with wheel offsets on pre-88s?

Thanks!
Jeff

·
El Teafive
10,489 Posts
The wheel offsets on pre-88s are more for 16" wheels and may require spacers in more cases.

Also 89 was the first year for the 6spd. you will need to decide if you like the older style dash or the newer style.

I have an 89 personally, but swapped to the 90-newer style dash, along with a bunch of other stuff

www.vettextc.net

OH YEAH:
WELCOME to DC

·
DC Crew
9,475 Posts
Welcome to digital Corvettes. I have no regrets with buying my 92 LT1 6 Speed. I hope you find something in your price range.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jeff,

I love the dash swap. The newer style dash with the older style (non-srs) steering wheel is awesome!
:partyon:

I also like the GS-style paint scheme....

Jeff

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
Welcome to the site. I have an 87 and everything these guy have said is true. There are companies that make wheels for our cars but with the 88 and up you can buy someone good used wheels and save some cash. Good luck and let us know what you do.:thumbsup:

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,518 Posts
Welcome to DC. There are a lot of knowlegable C4 guy here

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the advice!
(...and let me know if you're selling one in the central PA area!)

I'll be sure to post an update when I finally buy one!
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
939 Posts
Jeff... Welcome do DC!!!

I think you should shell out for a ZR-1, but thats just me :partyon:

·
Mo-Fo
7,509 Posts
Welcome to DC! Where in Pa are you? There are a lot of Corvette clubs around here. Someone might be able to hook you up. :cheers:

·
Only green will do...
18,388 Posts
Remember i am new what is the difference between both can somebody explain?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Remember i am new what is the difference between both can somebody explain?
The ZR-1 came with the LT-5 engine which was DOHC instead of pushrod (like every other vette before and since--except for that twin-rotary prototype). Gobs of power! :partyon:

·
Premium Member
6,667 Posts
Good luck finding one.:thumbsup: I used to have a 94 and loved it. Never could get used to the early dash and guages although many love them. The C4 is a great car and has the best factory "cocpit" feel of any vette IMO.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
724 Posts
Wheel offset is not a problem on early 80's vettes. There are many aftermarket wheels that will fit without spacers. I'm running 17x11 on the rear of mine with no spacers. But I would still stay in the upper 80's for one with the MAP sensor set up instead of the MASS. Plus the early OBDI computer systems were slow processors. The OBDII was much quicker at processing information thus giving quicker responses.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts