Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son informed me that my bid for a IRON WORKER has been accepted and I hopefully can get it moved in the next few weeks.
What is an iron worker. It is a very heavy but not large machine that can sear up to 7/8th thick steel 24 inches wide, punch hole up to 1 1/2 inches in 3/4 inch steel plate, can nibble circles or any radius in 3/4 inch plate and bend any thickness of steel up to 3/4 inch.
The machine is about twice the weight of a milling machine but only about 40 inches tall.
New they run $14,000 but I got it at a steal. It will also shear any angle iron or pipe.
My son uses one at work daily and loves it. He found a shop that is going out of business and made a bid for me. It was accepted and they will load it on their trailer for me but I have the pleasure of unloading in the shop. I am guessing the weight at 7-10,000 pounds.
Anybody available this weekend?????
Steel toed shoes are required.
It will make fabricating brackets so easy.

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
7000 to 10,000 lbs?

That's like 2 or 3 corvettes on top of each other!

Sure it won't sink into the ground?:laughing:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Norval did you get the lathe and other tools you just purchased home and set-up in the shop? You are really becoming well equipped in that shop. jim

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jim my lathe and mill are totally set up and all accessories carefully organized and put in cupboards. I am a neatness freak so everything is in it's place and operational. I even lined the work area with 3/4 inch black rubber horse mats, 5 feet by 6 feet.

Patrick the shop basement floor is 5 inches thick and of the best quality so hopefully it will not crack the floor.
It is heavy but it has to be to shear 7/8th plate or nibble 3/4 inch plate.

I bought 4 makita grinders this weekend just because the price was good, I like tools and I might take early retirement in another 5 years giving up my shop privileges here so I have to stock up while I can afford it. Once retired the money is not as good.

·
Premium Member
11,627 Posts
Sounds like you have a pretty nice setup there. :)

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,516 Posts
More tools, more tools, more tools, yeah right. I need more space before I can get any more tools

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All these tools have caused me to become paranoid. I am worried about loosing them so I upped my shop insurance for tools alone to $50,000 and am having a complete security system installed and it is monitored 24 hours a day by a security company for $20 per month. My insurance agent is giving me a 25% reduction in my permium because of the security issue. I already have bars on the windows, double locks on the garage doors and triple locks on the steel man door plus a home grown burglar alarm.
This is in a very low crime area but 2 places have been hit near me in the last month. It is starting to bother me.
I have 7 Makita grinders, 6 boxes of tool bits, 6 digital veriers, complete set of mics, all air tools, makita qucik cut, 4 different welders etc etc. If you were my insurance company would be believe me if I made a claim. I want to video everything as proof before hand. The lathe and mill and tire machine would be too hard to move so I don't worry about them. It is the little stuff that scare me.

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,516 Posts
Hey norvalwilhel. Now exactly what is your address and what times are you not there and what is you security code numbers. This is just so we can watch out for your stuff
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Seriuosly, I don't blame you. My shop is tied in with my home security system. No windows. single overhead with no outside latches, and the door is keyed and electrically locked. When you spend time acquiring stuff, you want to keep it

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My shop is not even visible from the house. It is located about 200 feet behind a large pool house near the back of the property. It is out of the way tucked into the trees but there is no access except past the house. The yard is well fenced but people can jump fences, well climb at least. The shop is tied into the house but if no one is home who will hear the silent alarm? The security company will tie it to th police through the phone lines plus a load external sirene that they assured me will wake the neighbour hood.
It is just that my collection is becoming quite large and I hate to loose it.

Remember guys I am alot older then most of you and I have had a lifetime to collect. My wife said to buy everything I want now before I take early retirement 5 years from now and the money is tighter.

I can easily pick 10 mikes and digital verniers out of the cupboard and they are easy to steel and very expensive to replace.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Norval, didn't they hit your truck a couple of months ago?

I would ask for a neighborhood meeting with your local Police and see if these activities could be addressed. You never know what information can come out at a meeting like this. A tag number or partial description could be the key to cracking this case and taking the piece of crap off of your streets.

If nothing else the old bait and grab works pretty good, I have used it many times. Jim

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes Jim they did hit my truck. I live in a quiet neighbour hood that doesn't have a problem. I am about 5 miles from the city but the scum seems to be comming to the country and hitting the houses.
I am having the house wired for intrusion, fire and water plus 2 load sirens that should scare anyone away, if not the police are autmatically called.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts