Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi there guys,
well i got the engine finally started after all this!
d*ick head me installed the fuel lines around the wrong way!
no wonder it didnt get any fuel to start, return line was on the main and vise versa.
any way now it has the problem of a very high and noisy idle!
its idling about 2,500-3,000 rpm now!
its sounds really horrible!
what could this be now please guys?
dont for get that i have just installed a super ram intake with new gaskets and they are known to leak quite bad at times!
i have a engine vaccum guage, could i shove this up any of the pipes/hoses to see if it has some sort of leak do you think please?
or what else could it be may be?
im still thinking that it is a intake gasket leak some where!
as i only used the right stuff silocone sealer on the plenum lid and the plenum base and not on the runners bewteen manifold and runners!
any ideas/help please!
thanks alot guys
cheers
glen

·
Registered
724 Posts
You can take a small propane torch bottle, and fabricate a way to hook a small vacuum line to it. Open the valve to the torch (DON'T LIGHT IT) and use the vacuum line to direct the vapor. Spray it along the runners, intake, etc. If there is a vacuum leak, when the propane hits the leak, it will make the engine idle go up momentarily. This is an old mechanic trick to find a vacuum leak.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi driley,
thanks for your help and reply!
the car idles so high i dont think i should let it run for that long to find a leak using that sort of method you kindly described!
your method sounds like a good idea,but my engine is running at idle about 3,000 rpm or so!
its loud!
any other ideas on what i could do please?
may be just pull it apart and start/try again i guess?
any way thanks
glen

·
Registered
724 Posts
What do you mean by noisey idle? Vacuum leak sucking noisey, or rattling noisey, what. More information please.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hi driley,
how are ya again.
sorry didnt get back to you rite away mate!
iv been busy with work so i couldnt reply back to you!
any way r.e the noise ,it just sounds like a loud sound that also doesnt sound like its running on all cylinders!
it sounds rough and a high screaming sort of sound!
like a sort of rattly noise i guess!
do you think that i might of messed up the distributor timing may be?
may a tooth out or so?
hope this helps!
do you have any right from sctratch info on to install distributor properly please?
thanks for your help,advice and time mate!
cheers
glen :thumbsup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts