Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 91 vette and have discovered that the driverside carpet gets wet when it rains. I assume that the weather stripping needs to be replaced. But I dont know which one. Any advise would be greatly apprieciated.

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,518 Posts
Congrats on the new vette and welcome to digitalcorvettes. Does it leak just on the door side or just at the console side or both. If it is just at the door side, make sure the carpet is dry. (Judical use of a hair dryer will work) Get in on the passenger side and get a buddy to start wetting down the door area with a steady stream of water but without much water pressure while you are inside looking for where the leak starts. A flashlight will help. If nothing shows up right away, increase the water pressure and spray from the front to the back until the leak starts. Also direct water around the windshield area and raise the hood and spray from the firewall side. Dont be in a big hurry or when you see the leak you could already be spraying in a new location. This might give you a start on finding the leak. Good luck

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
:agree: :agree: :agree:
WHAT!!!! you drive your car in the rain!!!
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
You mentioned just on the carpet. Is it possible the fiberglass floor pan is cracked? Have you done a visual inspection from underneath?

Also, exactly where on the carpet?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the welcome. I'm glad to be here.
The carpet is getting wet on the side. Where the speaker is. The peiece of carpet that you can actualy take out with like 2 or 3 screws. I looked and the door is wet as well on the bottome of the door where it meets the carpet. Should I just replace all of the weather stripping since its a 91. I'm just not sure how long the stripping normaly lasts on the vette.

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
If you can afford it replace it all. If not just fix the bad spot. I have an 87 and it only leaks at the point where the top,windshield and window all meet.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
I work at a dealer......
I have a sonic transmitter and electronic headsets i use to find air/water leaks
Most of my air/water leaks are found with a good visual inspection... LOOK at the seals and the inner fender... I'll bet you see the problem. If the windshield has been replaced look real close at the base of the windshield for water trails!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts