Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just joined the website. I hope to find alot of valuable info & meet a few friends. I am in the middle of a restoration on my 82CE I purchased in June. Boy isn't this stuff fun!!!!!
I am trying to raise my rear window. When I pull the release the tabs seem to unlock, but the window will not raise. I took the struts loose thinking they were stuck and the glass will still not raise. I haven't removed the back rear panel to get to release hinges yet. Is it possible the top hinges could be stuck. Any thoughts???????

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hey Dirtbuster!, welcome to DC! I don't think that your hinges are stuck. More than likely, one or both of the latches are not released. When you took the shocks off of the window, did they extend (were they still under pressure)? If so, they should have helped to raise the window at least a little if the latches released. Use a flash light and look through the glass down the latch pins at the latches while someone pulls the release handle. You should be able to see the latch jaws move. If they are not moving enough to clear the head of the latch pins, you may have to reach under the rear interior trim and release them manually. Be careful to make sure that both latches are realeased before you pull up on the glass. If one side is released and the other is not, you will risk breaking it (tempered glass doesn't twist well). I have installed and adjusted several of these windows, so I am pretty familiar with them. Good luck and I hope this helps.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got the glass up. I had to loosen the top hinges and slide them towards the front of the car. Does anyone know the proper distance from the backside between the glass & fiberglass? Mine gap seems to be about 3/16".

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hatch Hinges

Most likely your hatch hinges have stretched just like everyone else who has a CE. My Vette mechanic was able to do some cutting where the hinge attaches to the roof to allow more adjustment. Some have also suggested a cold press in a vice. Your hinges have likely stretched about 1 inch. I found hinges that came off of a CE with 11,000 miles on it but have not put them on yet. I am still using my originals.

Also be careful of struts like from Ecklers that some believe have too much pressure. There is a guy on ebay selling the last of five sets of custom struts that are at a lower pressure.

Good luck

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Mine does not rise ether. I dont remember it ever lifting on its own. I pull the tab I hear a pop then lift it my self. Can you lift it or is it stuck? O and if its stuck make sure you pulled the tab enough. I have to pull the hell out of mine to get it to open

·
Registered
31 Posts
Struts

The struts I purchased from Ecklers raise my hatch all the way to the top. However, one owner's opinion is that these struts are too strong and will stretch the hinges AND raise the glass too quickly with a jerk after release. You can get to the hatch latches to make sure they release simultaneously by removing the shelf in the back. Since the hinge will stretch even with the hatch closed, I disconnected the left side as that was the worst one of the two when I bought the car. Not a good solution but OK for the short term.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
More investigation and I found that Bubba had replaced the cable between the hatch releases. It wouldn't fit right so he tied a knot in it. The cable was so tight that the releases were an inch off from were they needed to be.

I am glad that you mentioned that the hinges could stretch. I suspected that that could be part of the problem. Also when I remove my struts, the glass aligns up ok. Put them on and the pressure pushes the glass back. These are not the original struts by looking at them. It sounds like the glass want pop up on its own when pulling the cable by reading other replies. Is that correct????

Your help is invaluable. Thanks

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
It sounds like the glass want pop up on its own when pulling the cable by reading other replies. Is that correct????

Your help is invaluable. Thanks
Never has for me, we've always had to lift it

·
Registered
31 Posts
Once hatch latches release, the hatch should slowly rise to full open. Mine jerks then more slowly reaches full height. Be careful not to pull too hard on the cable release as someone did that to my original and pulled the release handle clean off. Got lucky and found one on ebay that was intact. The cables themselves have some adustment.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts