Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey im new to this nice site =0)
i have a red stock 84' c4 automatic trans and i need help on starting off performance wise...whats the first few cheap things i should start off with?

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
84 GRANDSPORT said:
Welcome!:cheers: I would start by taking the cross fire off & slapping on a intake & carb!:partyon:

Boy we all new that was coming.:laughing:

I don't know much about those croosfires 84 Grandsport might have the best idea here but welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I have a stock 84' Crossfire
and just for now i want an air filter
and i was glancing around the net and i found this nice chrome Edelbrock oval air cleaner with K&N filter..
can this fit on my car will it replace that ugly gray crossfire cover>?
and i also found Edelbrok Signature Series Chrome Valve Covers.
will that fit ? if i sound stupid its because im a newb =0)

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/index.html

·
Registered
990 Posts
welcome to the DC. Good people here.......BTW like the name Mikey :thumbsup:

·
Registered
0 Posts
Mikey said:
I have a stock 84' Crossfire
and just for now i want an air filter
and i was glancing around the net and i found this nice chrome Edelbrock oval air cleaner with K&N filter..
can this fit on my car will it replace that ugly gray crossfire cover>?
and i also found Edelbrok Signature Series Chrome Valve Covers.
will that fit ? if i sound stupid its because im a newb =0)

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/index.html
Sure the air cleaner will fit...If you slap a carb on it...otherwise its not gonna happen! When I had the crossfire setup I painted the factory aircleaner to match...definetly an improvement. The valve covers will fit no problem. Good luck!:cheers:

·
Premium Member
11,627 Posts
Welcome to the forum, you'll find lots of good info here, stick around for a while. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Some things about your Air Cleaner and Valve Covers that most people don't know. They are Magnesium!!! This is what I did to mine when I still had the Crossfire in the car.
1.Remove the Valve Covers and Air Cleaner Upper Section and strip all removable rubber parts. Be careful in their removal to save them. You will need to glue them back on as they are no longer available at G.M.
2.Strip the paint with Aircraft Paint Remover.
3.Rent a Makita Buffer\Polisher 9227C and buy some buffs, heavy, medium and fine rouge.(avaliable at Eastman's)
4.WEAR A MASK WHILE BUFFING!!! It's Magnesium. It will do a number on your lungs. Buff out the parts.
5.Once you are satisfied with the shine, you can either Clear Coat with a High Temperature clear(Eastmans) or really get into some trick paint stuff.(Candy Apple, Anodize,etc)

You WILL have a few very small pits which were filled over at the factory and are now visible. Most of mine polished out.The ones that were left added "character".

So for the cost of a rental, some supplies and plain old work, you get a custom look that will get a lot of compliments from other Vette owners. People at the Corvette shows used to ask me where I bought them!!!

BTW: You can do the same thing to you're wheels. It's a lot cheaper than buying a set of chromed one's.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts