Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my first vette in June and I was looking for some advice on upgrading my stock suspension. I was leaning toward the VBP street and salom kit. Does anybody have any experience with this kit and I was also going to have Gary (GTR1999) rebuild my steering box. I have read nothing but great things about his work on this fourm and CF.

·
Premium Member
10,260 Posts
hey, welcome to DC and welcome to the C3 family! :cheers:

What are you looking to get out of your suspension upgrades? Purely street use? Autocross? Trackdays?

I don't have any first-hand experience with the VB&P kits, but there are lots of guys on here that speak highly of them. Spring rate and front ride height adjustment are definitely two of the perks of that system.

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
Here are a couple of shots of my 71 with VBP complete system front and rear installed along with rack and pinion, and hydroboost.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Can't go wrong with VBP or Gary. :thumbsup:

I think we need more info on your driving plans....

Street only? Autocross? Racing?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Since we're on the subject :D

I just did a complete poly bushing upgrade, 10" bolts in the rear (along with a fully rebuilt Diff and Batwing), I was looking into doing the VBP glass spring install front and rear.

I wanted some opinions on how the adjustable spring rates; install?
ride?
ease of adjustability?

I am setting my 1980 for street driving and REALLY love the way it rides right now, BUT, I would like some adjustability with the suspension (along with a weight decrease).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all

Thanks to everyone who replied, I'm just wanting a nice suspension that is going to be fun to drive on the street. I don't plan on doing any type of racing. Right now my car is not fun to drive, it is almost dangerous. I think most of that is due to my steering box and I figured while I was at it I would upgrade my suspension. I figured both of these mods will help. I've already got a PM from GTR1999 and as soon as I get the steering box out of the car I sending it to him. It also looks like I will be getting him to rebuild my rear diff. When I get to it.

·
Supporting Vendor
3,776 Posts
Nothing against the VB&P kit(s), they're very good but all I did with my 72 was rebuild the original suspension with MOOG USA parts, blueprint the box, use a new GM rag and a good alignment and it drives str and tight. Now I wouldn't use a common suspension kit I see all over, strictly MOOG and the USA MOOG, not the cheaper white box imported ones.
Good luck:thumbsup:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks to everyone who replied, I'm just wanting a nice suspension that is going to be fun to drive on the street. I don't plan on doing any type of racing. Right now my car is not fun to drive, it is almost dangerous. I think most of that is due to my steering box and I figured while I was at it I would upgrade my suspension. I figured both of these mods will help. I've already got a PM from GTR1999 and as soon as I get the steering box out of the car I sending it to him. It also looks like I will be getting him to rebuild my rear diff. When I get to it.
If the car feels 'dangerous' to drive, it might also be all your bushings are shot. May want to look at replacing at least your front bushings, ball joints and tie rod ends. Bushings that are shot or gone will cause the car to wander all over the road and back again.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's exactly what I was thinking FriscoSteve, I was planning to take everything apart and then I'll know exactly what I will need to get. After reading GTR1999's message I am going to replace the bushings with rubber. I have read a lot of other post about rubber vs poly. Rubber seems to be the way to go.

·
Premium Member
10,260 Posts
That's exactly what I was thinking FriscoSteve, I was planning to take everything apart and then I'll know exactly what I will need to get. After reading GTR1999's message I am going to replace the bushings with rubber. I have read a lot of other post about rubber vs poly. Rubber seems to be the way to go.
I put rubber bushings in the front end of my '69 about 4 years ago. While they're still in good shape right now they are showing some signs of cracking. I'm going to poly for the added stiffness as well as longevity. Just my $0.02.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I rebuilt my suspension with all Moog parts and a vbandp street and slalom kit it really changed the car tightened it all up. The 550 lbs springs lowered the car about 1 inch in the front.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I also like the '71 because it's the one I have and also it's the year that I was born.

I'm trying to figure out weather to use rubber or poly. I figure the poly will last a long time, but I don't want the squeaking that comes with poly. Which ones are easier to install?

·
Premium Member
10,260 Posts
I also like the '71 because it's the one I have and also it's the year that I was born.

I'm trying to figure out weather to use rubber or poly. I figure the poly will last a long time, but I don't want the squeaking that comes with poly. Which ones are easier to install?
poly is easier to install because you can separate the inner and outer sleeves from the actual bushing. The rubber version is all bonded together and inseparable. I haven't driven mine yet with the poly bushings, but with adequate greasing at installation I don't expect that squeaks will be a major issue. Only time will tell.

·
Supporting Vendor
3,776 Posts
Well there has been debate on poly since they came out years ago. I think everything has it's place so you should use what you feel is best. I have taken apart arms with 30 year old bushings that were still in good shape others 1/2 the age that were bad. I use poly engine and trans mounts and found some that didn't last any longer then the rubber and some poly that didn't fit. That's the only place I would use poly in fact, but that's just my opinion.

As far as installation using rubber, getting them out is harder then installing. I don't really use a press unless it's at the end to seat them. It's possible to bent the front arms in a press so if you go that route use a support in them as shown in the manuals.

I would not use any ball joint other then the MOOG USA ones. The imported joints are not anywhere as good, some of the other USA joints (if they really are made here) are not much less so the added cost is worth it in the long run.

Good luck with your choice, if I can help with any questions just shoot me a PM or email.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Gtr1999, I was definately going to use Moog ball joints and tie rod ends. I was maybe thinking about using poly on the control arms and sway bars. Does it create any problems to use both or should I just stick to one or the other?

I'm also trying to figure out what springs I should use. I understand that the 550lb springs will lower the front end of the car about an inch. And the 460lb are a little better than stock. My problem is that the passengers side is about 1/2 inch lower than the drivers side. I don't know if that 1/2 inch is from a worn out spring or shock or maybe something else. I was hoping that after I replace the springs and shocks that it will level out. I would like to keep the same ride height as the drivers side.

·
Supporting Vendor
3,776 Posts
You can use either type of bushing, with respect to the ball joints.

The VB&P springs are very good. They will offer the best rate for your application.

Are the door gaps uniform?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts