Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a Porsche 944 and while cruising ebay I realized...I coulda had a V8!

I intend to finish my little Porsche project and then sell it or try and trade it. (Almost done...few more weeks.)

The wife and I have been discussing what "toy" to get next and we've kinda settled on either a Vette or Firebird. Firebird because I was raised on Pontiac and there is not a lot I dont know about the models. Corvette because...hell...you guys already know.

We both know we'll get a Vette over a Firebird. I built her several early in our relationship and we've both grown stale on the marque for the most part.
(You younger guys want to impress your "soon to be missus"...build her a car instead of buying her one.)

Here's "our" problem at this stage of the discussion.
Which model of Vette?
She likes the C3 and I have always liked the C4.
Many of what I've seen available are well within our price range.
What we do know:
1) We want something that is a good running example but probably needs some TLC.
2) We both despise body kits on cars.
3) I want something that, once built, is reliable for street duty.
4) The car may see some road track time but probably will never drag race. (We're not much into drags but really like road courses...thus the Porshce purchase)
5) Digital Corvettes is by far the best Corvette Forum we've visited.

Got a damn nice site here and I for one, having done this sort of thing, can appreciate the work, effort, and sheer time it took to build it, but much more, maintain it.

What I've seen from the members has been very "mature" and "knowledgable".

Looking forward to the future venture with a "new" Vette and by just cruising these forums for the last week, I can tell you guys will play a part in it's success.

Thanks.

·
Registered
990 Posts
great to have you aboard........you will never regret owning a vette. I've had a C3 (70 vert, LT1 350/370 ) and now own a C4 as you can see in my avatar and the C4 is more fun. It will not wear you out as fast when tooling around. Probably the earlier C4's will be your choice because of the workability aspect but I love my 96 for many other reasons. Half the fun is finding out about these cars and this is a good place to start. Got some smart fellas here.:cheers:

·
Registered
256 Posts
Welcome!!! It's nice to have you here!:buhbye: I personally like the C4's best. I love the lines, But I'd find it hard to turn down any model of Vette. Is your 944 a turbo?

·
Registered
8,067 Posts
Welcome aboard here. My vote would definetly be a Corvette and my personal favorite is the C5 convert due to the lines.

Porsche is a hard act to follow, even a 944. While the Porsche may have some acceleration advantages, you just can't argue with cubic inches and the throaty sound of a V8.

Been lookin at a Cayenne S myself.

·
DC Crew
53,220 Posts
I would get a C3 for cruising close to home (within 100 miles)... but I'd get a C4 for anything longer distance or real performance driving.

Obviously, the C3 is older technology, and needs more love and talent (and wallet). (but man, do they look cool!)

A later C4 (like my 96) can be problem free (but i did replace the shocks at 40k).

I think the C3 looks better than a C4.

Here is the history of C3's

http://digitalcorvettes.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=79

Here is the history of C4's

http://digitalcorvettes.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=80

That is some info to get you started!:thumbsup:

·
DC Pit Crew
11,957 Posts
if its going to be a "project car" then you can build it to be reliable on the road....my advice would be to get the newest vette that you like and can afford....they are constantly updating and upgrading the vette...

·
DC Crew
53,220 Posts
stilcrazee said:
Porsche is a hard act to follow, even a 944. While the Porsche may have some acceleration advantages, you just can't argue with cubic inches and the throaty sound of a V8.
No way! I've beaten Porsche 944's in my V6 (non-SHO) Taurus!

But, they handle great. Dated, but nice engineering.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The 944s were outstanding cars for their day and the inspiration for many of the "newer" Japanese cars like the RX7 and Supra.

My grandmother can beat me at the red light using only her walker.

Rolling from around 50-60ish...the Porsche is a go getter.
Few cars can match it in the curves. It's where this car shines and I love it. (Way OT: We looked at the Cayenne and the Mercedes but went with the Avalanche instead. I think it wears the East Texas mud much nicer and it was more affordable with the same level of comfort for a truck of its size.)

I'm still considering the C3 but I agree with Punk. I need to find the latest model I can get my hands on and go from there.
(Now to convince the wife of that!)

Not so sure about the C5. I like it...I don't like it. Something about it. Not sure. Definately affordable for the right early model but I still like the C4 more. Might be because it was the "unobtainable" car while I was in High School. Don't know.

·
DC Crew
53,220 Posts
Brazzos said:
Definately affordable for the right early model but I still like the C4 more. Might be because it was the "unobtainable" car while I was in High School. Don't know.
Funny you mention that! I think a lot of folks buy the Vette that sparked their initial interest in Corvettes, or what they "couldn't have" when they really wanted one!

·
Premium Member
11,627 Posts
Welcome to the forum, and what are you waiting for man, finish that project so you can get on with the vette purchase. :laughing: :laughing:

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,545 Posts
Welcome to DC. Take a look at the gallery and you'll get a lot of good ideas abot what you might want

·
DC Crew
3,723 Posts
Patrick96LT4 said:
Funny you mention that! I think a lot of folks buy the Vette that sparked their initial interest in Corvettes, or what they "couldn't have" when they really wanted one!
I'd better buy that '66 now. thanks! :excited:

·
DC Crew
3,723 Posts
WELCOME!
I don't have much to add that hasn't already been posted, except to say that if you guys are interested in a vert you will rule out model years '76-'85. Those also happen to be the least powerful years anyway, if that matters to you.

good luck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts