Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 290 Posts

·
DC Crew
4,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the start of the build thread.

Yesterday we started the process of expelling the bird cage from a donor 78 car for my wife's 69 convertible. The windshield was in great shape so we took our time removing it.

Over the coming weeks we will get this down to the bare cage and make the conversion for the convertible. Then we will cut the 69 down to rivet and glue it all in.

We also picked up a 454 on Saturday. We have decided that this will not be the "Shockray" Electrovette. Too many unanswered hurtles in that direction to take the plunge.

The metal in this donor car is beautiful and clean.

Attachments

·
DC Crew
4,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good question - turns out I might not be able to use the current 454 and may need to look for a 1996 and up model (not 8.1) because I'm digging this:

http://www.eficonnection.com/eficonnection/24xBBC.aspx

Which I can use with some parts I have to build a full LS EFI system on an "older" school BB.

But, all up this is up in the air right now. The main plan in front of us is getting the body/frame solid...then we can really talk about the motivation.

·
Premium Member
1,777 Posts
Looking forward to seeing the birdcage removal and subsequent body install. I've never seen that done before and I like learning new stuff.

Please take lots of photos and post often. BTW, nice shop...

·
DC Crew
4,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looking forward to seeing the birdcage removal and subsequent body install. I've never seen that done before and I like learning new stuff.

Please take lots of photos and post often. BTW, nice shop...
This will be #4 for me - kind a been there done that...but each one is different in some way in terms of what has gone bad and how to deal with it.

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
36,409 Posts
Are you going to name this one Chris? Killer was perfect for your black one. If it is going to really be Nikki's, Smokin' would be good:D

·
Registered
855 Posts
:cheers:

Vroom vroom time!!!

Can't wait to let her rip next weekend around 8am for a friendly wake up call to my fellow neighbors as I roar down the street with sweet sound of side pipes roaring and bouncing off all the high ride condo buildings.

Thanks again Chris

·
Registered
155 Posts
:cheers:

Vroom vroom time!!!

Can't wait to let her rip next weekend around 8am for a friendly wake up call to my fellow neighbors as I roar down the street with sweet sound of side pipes roaring and bouncing off all the high ride condo buildings.

You a bad boy and have the best 69 I've ever seen. I will wave at it as it passes thru the treasure coast on it's way to Miami.
Don't break it the first day :smack

·
Registered
155 Posts
This will be #4 for me - kind a been there done that...but each one is different in some way in terms of what has gone bad and how to deal with it.
Your the master after this many cages Chris!
Glad to hear Nikki gets a BB though

Best of luck on this build my friend :cheers:

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
36,409 Posts
Got the donor car down to the naked bird cage today. Other than some surface rust, it is solid as can be.
That birdcage looks in great condition. Was it luck or skill that you found one so good?

·
DC Crew
4,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That birdcage looks in great condition. Was it luck or skill that you found one so good?
A little of both. Bought the donor off Craig's list.

Got the nose off it today. Stripped the firewall inside and out. Got one of the inner left side panels off before calling it a day.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 290 Posts