Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am beginning to see that Nitrous systems are like golf clubs. Guys buy them thinking they will use them and then don't or don't much, and then sell the setup. Ebay is full of them. Two things: Is NOS the only way to go, or are other systems just as good? (edelbrock, zex, zx, on and on) Do any of our guys have a setup they are selling? (I would feel better about buying from someone here if given the choice) 1985 L98 Stock. Just a few minor details and the car is mechanically sound, but stock. so, I am ready to start looking at a system:excited:

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Pat,
I read that earlier too. Just read it again. Grumpyvette would seem to be pointing you toward NOS. The only nitrous system I ever had was NOS, but in those days I think that was the only system available. It did the job and I never had a problem with the car on account of the juice. Sure was fun. So, here we go again!
Thanks for the reply,
Roger

·
Super Moderator
8,488 Posts
keep in mind theres a big differance in how well nitrous works on an engine between a standard cam stock cam and a cam designed for nitrous use, a cam designed for nitrous can free up an easy 40-60 hp youll loose to pumping losses with a standard cam,
now on a 1985 corvette a cam like the CRANE #114142 hydrolic flat tappet cam or #113941 cam (its really the same cam its just that the #114142 comes with a emmisions sticker)
(will work exceptionally well with a basically stock engine and a 100hp-150hp nitrous kit) you may as well get the most from the nitrous, its almost senceless to potentially make 130hp but only get about 90hp due to pumping losses when a correct matching cam will allow the full 130 hp to be used for only about $150 includeing lifters with a new cam that can still pass emmissions (I ran that for over a year,your results will vary but between the cam and nitrous you won,t believe its the same engine)

http://www.cranecams.com/master/apps/chevy14.htm#1. Hydraulic

btw the # 114142 cam responds well to 1.6 ratio rockers on the intake and 1.5 ratio rockers on the exhaust in most engines Ive used it in!!
ID be absolutely amazed if the addition of that particular crane cam in a TPI/L98 from a 1985-1986 ,did not add at least a minimum of 40 hp additional over the results youll get with the stock cam, and I tend to get better than that!, over the results of just the nitrous system alone. be aware that headers and a free flow exhaust add to a nitrous systems efficiency, also

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks...

Grumpyvette if I were to add the cam how would that effect reliability. Part of the reason for going nitrous, for me, was extreme increase on demand, without changing from stock reliability. what do you think? Also, CA has the Cat. I just put on the biggest one Midas could get me, with borla exhaust. Not that it is a big worry how does the cam effect gas mileage? Again, it has to drive daily streets and freeways of LA. Nothing like wanting your cake and eating it to. Thank you for sharing your experience and the part numbers with me.
Roger:cheers:

·
Super Moderator
8,488 Posts
if you use a crane #114142 there will be a slight loss in drivability, (it idles at about 800rpm and has a slight but noticable lope at idle) but most people find it a good trade off, because of a gain of 40 plus hp, if you drop back to a CRANE #114132 there will still be a noticable increase in hp (about 30hp) and NO NOTICABLE increase in drivability problems of any kind, and it will still pass emmission, testing and still give you at least a 30hp increase over the stock cam, there will be absolutely no loss in relieablity with the 114132 cam, in fact the 114132 cam makes an excellent upgrade even if your not going to use nitrous on the 1985-86 L98 engine if your just looking to maximize the TPI engines hp/tq but not change anything about the way it drives other than giving it a slight and I do mean slight rumble to the idle sound and a boost in hp,(it likes 1.6 ratio rockers on both intake and exhaust) and my milage actually increased by one mpg over stock due to greater tq
(F.Y. INFO I was able to run 13.4/101mph with that 114132 cam, no nitrous)
the 114142 cam with nitrous got me well into the 12s

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
more...

ok, does the #114142 pass emissions? I'm from the old days, I love a noticeable lope.
Roger

·
Super Moderator
8,488 Posts
yes but if you must pass emission testing I would deffinatly use the 114132 because its designed for the TPI system and its designed to pass emmision testing, the 114142 is designed for use with carb engines and while it has a california emmision test # its NOT tech. a legal replacemen and it does put you closer to the limits, the 114142 works but the 114132 is really the better choice if your going to need to pass emmission testing, keep in mind youll be totally pissed off of you fail emmission testing, its far safer to use the 114132, while I easily passed emission testing with the 114132 , in fact better than stock,I just pased with the 114142
so with the 114132 and nitrous youll still have a killer setup

·
Registered
41 Posts
adding the cam will add alot of labor cost to your install. Might as well get heads and cam if you're gonna go into the engine anyways.
If you just want a good kick in the pants, Just bolt on a wet kit and have fun.

The zex dry kit will be an even easier bolt on. All the solenoids are in a small box and you just wire everything up from there.

Just make sure whatever you go with, that you weld your floorboards down cause It will come right out from under you like Paul Walker's did when he started spraying in the supra. :laughing:

·
Super Moderator
8,488 Posts
theres absolutely no reason you can,t do the install of the cam and nitrous system by yourself, theres not a single thing thats overly technical or difficult! its abserd to pay someone to do work like that unless your totally unskilled and have no tools or place to work

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You bet!

Stay tuned. By the way, just made an appointment for Tuesday morning, minor body scratches, dings to be fixed, color sanding and then a big black stripe right down the middle, wide very wide. I can't believe the little woman is backing this up. I think she was very afraid I was going to buy a Road Runner.:laughing:
I'll be glad to get all this stuff behind me... or is it ever behind you?
Grumpyvette, you don't have to pass an emissions test in FL do you?
thanks again

·
Super Moderator
8,488 Posts
Grumpyvette, you don't have to pass an emissions test in FL do you?
thanks again

we did need to pass emmision testing untill about a year ago, when they finally realized how much of a waste in time and money it was

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good for you...

and good to know, probably moving your way in about a year. North Port.
CU Roger

1 - 15 of 15 Posts