Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently, I'm not using my '87 Coupe very much because of the price of gas in Puerto Rico (on average, 72 cents a liter for regular unleaded and close to 80 cents for premium. So, I put $20 worth of regular and drove around doing some errands.
While driving back home, I noticed the brake pedal was a bit higher than usual but paid no attention to it. After taking off from a traffic light, I got real close to the car in front and started braking when the pedal went to the floorboards. NO BRAKES!!!!!!
I immediately swerved to my right and frantically pumped the brakes but to no avail. Since I was doing about 30 MPH, I shifted from Drive to first gear to slow the car down before the next traffic light.
I was about a mile from my house so I crawled VERY SLOWLY home.
As soon as I parked the car I opened the hood and found that the brake fluid reservoir was full. But it was very hot. Also the front brake hoses were very hot. I could not find a leak in the front hoses or fluid leaking from the front calipers or the rear ones. So I must conclude that the master cylinder is shot.
This item was replaced about 3 years ago with an EOM unit which I purchased from a GM parts dealer.
Maybe the heat damaged the rubber parts inside but I have to wait until I disassemble it to be sure. If I find the rubber parts damaged I will replace the whole unit but I have to do something about the heat.
My questions are: Is it normal for the master cylinder to get very hot? What can I do to reduce the heat in this item? Will a home made heat shield work? Has anyone experienced this situation? The coolant temp reading was about 190 degrees at the time but I understand this is normal for these engines. Also, I do not have headers in my car and the factory heat shields are installed.
Any help will be appreciated.

P.S. Before submitting this thread, I went to my car and tested the brakes and they were OK. The incident was two days ago, so now the car was cold.
What is the matter?????????

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Coaster said:
Check your parking brake.... it may be dragging, causing the fluid to boil.

This link may help: http://www.v8sho.com/SHO/Brake_Fluid2.htm
The link is full of good information. The parking brake is not dragging since the shoes are so worn out:laughing:
Will change the fluid soon after I get back from a trip to NYC. Will try to get the Raybestos fluid the article mentions.
Thank you.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts