Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CHICAGO (CBS) — Chicago Public Schools is apologizing to a Chicago mother and her two young sons, ages 5 and 6, after they were denied breakfast because they came to schools wearing the wrong kind of shoes.

CBS 2’s Dorothy Tucker reports.

The Nicholson brothers only grab a quick snack before heading to class because they qualify for a full free breakfast at Adam Powell Grade School. It’s something they look forward to every day, and it hurt when they were recently turned away.

They were wearing black athletic shoes. The boys told their mom that the assistant principal, Angela Peagler wouldn’t let them eat because their shoes didn’t fit the school uniform, which calls for a regular black dress shoe.

“I felt sad. We’re always supposed to have breakfast,” first-grader Noah Nicholson says.

Noah and his brother Niko, who is in kindergarten, went to class hungry and didn’t eat until lunch.

“It hasn’t been a problem all this time and all of a sudden they can’t have breakfast because of their shoes,” Kahlia Edwards, the boys’ mother, says.

Edwards says the boys have been wearing the shoes all year and administrators never complained. She’s confused.

The boy’s great aunt is livid.

“I don’t care if they had on orange shoes, they were in line to eat,” Robin Price says. “I’m not going to feed you because you have the wrong shoes? Shoes? No, no.”

CBS 2 tried to ask both the assistant principal and Principal Derek Jordan to explain what happened. They wouldn’t. However, a manager at the CPS regional office spoke with reporter Tucker.

Area 17 Management Support Director Darryl Earl says Peagler told him she thought the boys had returned to the breakfast but he acknowledged she was wrong.

“Regardless of what shoes they were wearing, obviously the children should have been allowed the opportunity to merge into breakfast,” he says.

Monday afternoon, the principal and the assistant principal apologized to the boys and their mother.

They went on to explain that they were reacting to an increase in students violating the school dress code. The principal even offered to buy the boys new black shoes.

But here’s the kicker: The school’s dress code does not say the shoes have to be black dress shoes.

The boys’ mother says the principal obviously needs to make the rules clearer.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2011/05/09/no-breakfast-for-kids-wearing-wrong-shoes-at-grade-school/

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Maybe if mommy had been a good parent and fed her kids breakfast at home, this would be a non-issue????? Welfare babies! :down:

·
Registered
12,410 Posts
Maybe if mommy had been a good parent and fed her kids breakfast at home, this would be a non-issue????? Welfare babies! :down:
C'mon now...Since Michelle has put the dirt out on McDonald's, you can't buy Happy Meals anymore...

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm all for feeding these kids at school, for some it's their only semblance of a real meal. And what they are wearing has NO bearing on whether they eat or not.. a majority of kids in poverty situations don't have a lot of control over it. People should accept responsibility, but society has responsibilities also, especially when it comes to making sure kids in this country eat.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
I'm all for feeding these kids at school, for some it's their only semblance of a real meal. And what they are wearing has NO bearing on whether they eat or not.. a majority of kids in poverty situations don't have a lot of control over it. People should accept responsibility, but society has responsibilities also, especially when it comes to making sure kids in this country eat.
You're breaking my heart.

I'm sure these two kids are not malnurished. They did get lunch you know? The school is trying to enforce rules by instituting a penalty. If you want to be rewarded, play by the rules.

IMO, we shouldn't give out any welfare unless the recipients pass random drug tests and are at least looking for work. Teaching the kids a little responsibility is not a bad thing either. :devil:

·
I support glass stairways
5,955 Posts
Well, they are children of poverty. One will go on, live a better life, and succeed at everything he does, the other will either become a drunk, gambler, druggie, or bum or any combination of the previous. For these reasons alone they should be used to not getting breakfast, for one, it will only fuel his fire to succeed, for the other, well, it will let him get prepared for his future...

:laughing::laughing:

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Now you guys know why the GOP is viewed by so many as a facking joke.

Feeding hungry children at school: BAD

Bombing the **** out of hungry children to keep the war machine churning, while transferring trillions of wealth: GOOD

:crazy: Some people need to get their values examined, along with their heads..

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
I don't believe there was an option given to pick between the two.

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So... now you see benefit in every entitlement put forth ?
So, now you see every social program as bad ? You see bad in making sure 6 year olds eat ?

War is the only spending that is contributing to our economic state ?
War is the only "good" spending? Bomb their ass, but make sure they are hungry ?

The leftist ideology... is correct ? You are voting for Obama ?
I told you to quit trying to neocon me, you guys are the reason he got elected.. if he gets a second term, that too will be laid at the neocons' feet.

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
No... you stop "liberalizing" everybody. Picking and choosing arguments out of context. Was there an option there to pick between the two ? Should we not defend our country... and only feed the poor around the world ? You and your ideological leader would have kids starving as you feel it is unconstitutional for government intervention.

Anybody can take this **** out of context... and that's exactly what you did. I saw this **** coming, hours ago. ;)

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
Now you guys know why the GOP is viewed by so many as a facking joke.

Feeding hungry children at school: BAD

Bombing the **** out of hungry children to keep the war machine churning, while transferring trillions of wealth: GOOD

:crazy: Some people need to get their values examined, along with their heads..
Lets see, These two kids already:
A. Go to school for free (parents don't pay any taxes)
B. Recieve breakfest for free
C. Recieve lunch for free
D. Recieve their milk for free
E. Most likely have a free cell phone
F. Most likely have a free supper (food stamps)
G. Most likely have government supplied housing
H. Most likely get to participate in a sports program for free

Yep, those nasty GOP are some real Ass Pipes eh?

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A. Go to school for free (parents don't pay any taxes) FALSE, the rent is paid, the owner pays the taxes.
B. Recieve breakfest for free YES, kids need to be fed, in this country too.
C. Recieve lunch for free Yes, kids need to be fed in this country too.
D. Recieve their milk for free Yes, kids need to be fed in this country too.
E. Most likely have a free cell phone Source?
F. Most likely have a free supper (food stamps) Source?
G. Most likely have government supplied housing Source?
H. Most likely get to participate in a sports program for free Source?[/quote

No, just a joke when it comes to financial matters..

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
The point that most were attempting to make is the direction entitlements are going. Why are children and families being fed by schools ? What is the mechanism in place to provide nourishment to these families (welfare food-stamps monetary assistance) being used on ? Do we not provide enough, do we need to provide more... is it being used inappropriately ? Is there really a need for schools to be providing nutrition ? -Is it simply another vote purchasing mechanism payed for by tax dollars ?

I believe this was the point most were making... It's the point I would have been making.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I don't feel one bit sorry for them. Most people abuse the social programs and complain when something isn't given to them for free. I use to work with a person who got $300 a week in food stamps plus what they made which was more than what I made. Social programs are a way of controlling the masses. Look at Rome in ancient times. When their social programs were filled with nothing but lazy people they lost their will to work as free stuff was given to them, and not long after their economy collapsed and Rome fell cause of lazy people and corrupt politicians. Politicians and social programs will quickly ruin a country as there is so much corruption within them. If no corruption exsisted then social programs would work as they were intended.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
A. Go to school for free (parents don't pay any taxes)
B. Recieve breakfest for free
C. Recieve lunch for free
D. Recieve their milk for free
E. Most likely have a free cell phone
F. Most likely have a free supper (food stamps)
G. Most likely have government supplied housing
H. Most likely get to participate in a sports program for free

Get out of here with your cold heart! You Neocon!

:laughing:

;)

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
The point that most were attempting to make is the direction entitlements are going. Why are children and families being fed by schools ? What is the mechanism in place to provide nourishment to these families (welfare food-stamps monetary assistance) being used on ? Do we not provide enough, do we need to provide more... is it being used inappropriately ? Is there really a need for schools to be providing nutrition ?

I believe this was the point most were making... It's the point I would have been making.
The ONLY reason that schools are feeding kids breakfast is that the parents of said children are bottom feeders of society.

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
When you guys vehemently oppose the war spending, for wars that we have nothing to gain from, against people who did not attack us, you might be relevent in the conversation.. until then, get your Obama 12 buttons ready.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
I don't feel one bit sorry for them. Most people abuse the social programs and complain when something isn't given to them for free. I use to work with a person who got $300 a week in food stamps plus what they made which was more than what I made. Social programs are a way of controlling the masses. Look at Rome in ancient times. When their social programs were filled with nothing but lazy people they lost their will to work as free stuff was given to them, and not long after their economy collapsed and Rome fell cause of lazy people and corrupt politicians. Politicians and social programs will quickly ruin a country as there is so much corruption within them. If no corruption exsisted then social programs would work as they were intended.
:thumbsup:
As Rome fell, so will the US. :cheers:

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The ONLY reason that schools are feeding kids breakfast is that the parents of said children are bottom feeders of society.
My sis in-law's kiddos get this as well. She works 40 hours a week, single mom, pays all her own bills, don't qualify for food stamps (only makes $10 an hour). She's no bottom feeder.. she provides a good life for those kids and that program helps immensely.

Get your Obama 12 button.. because until the GOP gets off the war gas, and onto the country gas, we are stuck with him and those like him.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
When you guys vehemently oppose the war spending, for wars that we have nothing to gain from, against people who did not attack us, you might be relevent in the conversation.. until then, get your Obama 12 buttons ready.
I AM vehemently opposed to war spending unless we are going in with a direct mission to kill the ****ers and get out.
I am also vehemently opposed to feeding the offspring of losers breakfast because their parents are losers.

I'm sick of supporting those that lack the sensibility to pick themselves up from the shithole that is their life. :nuts:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts