Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright, looks like i finally eliminated the grounding issue. and despite what the charger says the battery is good and charged up: couple hours of cranking trying to get it going. car has sat pretty untouched for 9 months as i played trace the ground continuity on the positive wires. seems it was a screw poking thru on the drivers rocker panel or the drivers underdash panel, all tests are good and thats all i did; dont have FSM and not comfy tearing apart w/o being able to readily reinstall.

im getting a pump sound out back, cranks fine, and will catch and run some on starter fluid. 0 zero PSI at fuel rail, added about another gallon of gas to the couple gallons (stabil treated) that were in the tank. before sitting i had changed the fuel filter and it ran pretty good biweekly @ 30-45min, barely fixed a TV cable issue before the short shut her down. but was running well til this. i have a spare fuel pump from Jsup but since i can hear it running i was figuring this is not the place to start.

any suggestions, aside from buying the FSM, once the title issues are more cleared up I will do that.

·
Registered
309 Posts
have you checked to make sure the sock/pickup is on the pump and below the level of fuel you have in the tank?

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
If you can hear the pump run then your wiring and relay are good, now you have to look at the pump and fuel filter. The pump might be running but really weak therefor not able to put out the proper pressure

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
The pump might be running but really weak therefor not able to put out the proper pressure
Or the pump connecting hose inside the tank has a split so fuel is going straight back into tank

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
You need to pull the line apart at the fuel filter and see if your actually getting fuel threw the lines. If not then you know your issue back in the tank

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the tips

Its a vert, fuel filter is a real pita: x-brace makes using jack stands fun if you want to access much more than wheels and brakes. Besides I've yet to see inside the tank, so I'm gonna start there. So VATS should be cool since it'll run on the cheater juice up the nose? It might just be that low on gas. I'm gonna dump 5gal of high test in abd try again before I take any thing else apart. I actually saw one like described, pump was fine but the hose inside the tank to the fitting was all tore up; guy working on boss's beater van at work. So the eletrical has a plug just a few inches from the cap outside?, I think I saw that in someone's pic about pump removal. I hope that's right cause I couldn't figure out how to dialodge it where it goes thru the access plate into the tank.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
maybe im hearing something else, not the pmp

Threw about 6gal 91 octane in and still nothing, no starting fluid today. How long should it take cranking/ key on to get fuel to the engine. Any idea which wires I should check w/ DVOM at the plug near the tank to make sure its getting signal andor power? If I can verify it has the correct electrical input then I'm gonna pull the pump next. Thanks again guys.

PS grumpy I've read a bunch of the info you sent but so far I'm betting its something real simple. Like maybe just a bad pump and that I heard something else that I mistook for the pump.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Try pulling the harness off one injector at a time and see if it will start then! pull one crank it see if it starts, hook it back up and move to the next one! If it starts and runs it has a bad injector! just a simple test to narrow it down without spending any extra money. good luck

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
this one is realll basic

alright, turned key to ON but no readings at connector for fuel pump. so heres the Basic (dumb) bit, um where the hell are all the relays located on a 91? most cars they're somewhere under the hood, and yes i know this isnt most cars. but i cant seem to locate the fuseblock with the big Amps and relays once i can locate that i can swap something secondary, the ac for ex, with the fuelpump and see if its just a bad relay. im getting a FSM before the end of the year i dont care if i never get the title this is BS trying do do this **** blindfolded, upside-down and underwater with only my fingers for a wrench.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The relay is under the dash on the passengers side not to bad to get at! also there is a wire coming out of the main harness under the ecm there is a red wire sticking out of it that is the hard wire used to check the fuel pump put a wire from it to the positive side of the battery and listen for the pump to run if it runs the pump is working! hope this helps!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
relay locations

Thanks, ill just tear her open some more. I'm gonna need an FSM before I'm thru just to put things back. I work too slow for even my memory to get it all right. So who do I blame for putting relays in such a place when they could've gone happily by the charcoal canister under the hood?; with less wiring and much easier routing and access.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
relays

Alright I've located them; whoever thinks that's easy access must be a contortionist- or a masochist. But unfortunately I cannot locate any indication which one does what, despite the circuit info showing all 5 to be the same relay. Which is which? also, If there are more let me know. Kinda wary about jumping a random wire right against the ecm, if I can ID it better i'll try that.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
38 Posts
It's in the set of 3 relays it will be the first relay of that set toward the pass. door hope this helps!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
finallyel

well it wasn't the relay. Finally got a chance to work on it with a helper. Found elec to pump was fine. So I just replaced the pump with Jsup's old one. And its working fine. Now I just need to get my money back from superior Chevy. I needed tank gasket for 1991. The one they sold me had the wrong bolt pattern, so I took pics of the piece and VIN I don't want to pay any restocking fee.

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
Alright I've located them; whoever thinks that's easy access must be a contortionist- or a masochist. But unfortunately I cannot locate any indication which one does what, despite the circuit info showing all 5 to be the same relay. Which is which? also, If there are more let me know. Kinda wary about jumping a random wire right against the ecm, if I can ID it better i'll try that.

Thanks again!
before you pull the relays have you checked the fuses in the main block?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts