Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am still looking for eletrical bug on my 71
so i untaped the wires going to starter and found no fuse link
there is just a splice of wire about 7 inches from starter
no smaller wire

·
Registered
738 Posts
So there is a wire connected to the battery terminal and then a splice about 7" away. the piece between the starter and the splice IS the fuse link, it is just a wire that is a size or two smaller than the wire it feeds. I forget what year your car is, but on mine, it goes from the starter up to a connector (6 wire) behind the passenger head valve cover. Make sure all 3 red wires are hot on both sides of that connector

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the wires look the same size
when i first got the car i thought i found the short
it was on the starter wires it was a bear piece of wire about 2 inches long so cut it out
do you think it was a fuse link
the 2 inch piece of wire seemed to be smaller dia and it was it with2 connectors

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
the wires look the same size
when i first got the car i thought i found the short
it was on the starter wires it was a bear piece of wire about 2 inches long so cut it out
do you think it was a fuse link
the 2 inch piece of wire seemed to be smaller dia and it was it with2 connectors
Yes. See the two red wires between the starter and the connector in the picture? That is them.:thumbsup:

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
Bird, you car is a 81.....his is more similar to my '72 here....the wiring did change over...we don't even have a white molex plug, just straight wires....I dunno why they changed out the wiring that a way, but they did....in the factory.....electrically damn same, but appearance wise they are totally differant.....

Cratch....you need cut into the entire drop to your starter there, clean out all the wire wrap so as you can see every individual wire there....up to the firewall clip holding the harness....

in that bundle you will find of course two wires with small loops, one goes to the starter S terminal....I forget the color, and i'ts probably faded anyway....the other goes to the P terminal, and IF you still have points ignition...that will take battery voltage directly to the + side of your coil, effective jumping out any resistor wire....this gives higher currents/voltage to the ignition circuit for starting in cold weather....it's a work around from the old daze.....

from the factory, there is a black ten ga wire also....with a 3/8 diameter loop on it...this goes to CHASSIS/ENGINE GROUND it's the ground for the heater motor/speed relay and wiper motor.....without that connected right, you got none of that working nearly correctly....

then we have the battery cable...that's obvious....and then there better be another wire that DOES go to the battery cable stud....should be RED, and have a fuse link of thin wire in it.... and that is the only real fuse link I remember from my old harness, and indeed I kept it there in stock fashion....

so, if that RED wire link is broken inside, you got a dead car....ain't nutting working

as I recall the coating for that fuse link is rubber, cause it won'd smoke and burn as readily as plastic....so it dies a quiet death instead of taking the whole damn car with it....

I have seen inline 30+ amp fuses in some cars as late as Birds'.....and no fuse links.....it's valid too....but methinks too much heat/water/grease for them in that spot above the starter wedged in the a/c ducting....

:thumbsup: :cheers:

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
can you buy replacement fuse links
the old one was bare
thanks for eletrical help
i think i will take to someone who knows car eletrical sys

·
Registered
658 Posts