Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Gang:buhbye:. Does anyone know the reason why nobody wants to repair a Firestone Firehawk runflat? I've had em' less than a thousand miles, and picked up a sheet rock screw last night. The firestone dealer won't even touch it. Thanks gang:cheers:

·
Registered
796 Posts
Mark,
My team purchases tires regularly. Some manufacturers allow repair of runflats, other don't. I will pull our tire info and see what Firestone's official stance is on this subject and get back with you in the next day or two.

:partyon:

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank You. As soon as I said "runflats", 2 store managers turned and ran. :laughing:

·
Registered
155 Posts
On their website

I found this on their website.
Charlie

http://www.firestonecompleteautocare.com/tires/faq.jsp

WHAT IS THE REPAIRABLE AREA OF AN RFT (RUN FLAT) TIRE?
No tire, regardless of its design or quality, is indestructible. RFT tires can be ultimately rendered unusable due to a puncture or other road hazard as well as from improper run-flat or low pressure operation. Some punctures may be repaired under certain circumstances, with restrictions and subject to prescribed procedures.

When driven flat or with low pressure, factors affecting reparability include vehicle speed, load, handling and maneuvering; the amount of inflation pressure lost; and ambient temperature. In any situation, the extent and location of direct damage from a puncturing object or other road hazard are also critical factors.

RFT tires are not repairable in any of the following situations:

If the tire is described as, "Do Not Repair" on the sidewall.
If the tire was operated with inflation pressure less than 15 psi (100 kPa).
Abrasion or other damage is present on the exterior tread, sidewall or bead areas.
Abrasion, wrinkling, or separation is present on the tire interior.
Any condition or damage is present that disqualifies repair of a conventional tire.
Run-Flat Certified Retailers will fully inspect your tire, inside and out, to determine if the tire can be repaired. Tire damage is not always visible from the outside and the tire must be removed from the wheel for a complete inspection.

Note: Some vehicle manufacturers recommend not using repaired tires. Such recommendations apply to RFT tires. Use of RFT tires deemed non-repairable may result in damage to the vehicle, injury, or death. Consult your vehicle owner's manual or contact the vehicle manufacturer before operating a repaired tire on your vehicle.

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Just another reason I won't buy run flats. :down:

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank You for the info Bugs. The screw is in the middle of the tire, in between treads. I believe I picked it up close to home, as there is no color missing off of the screw. It appeared fine when I got out of the car the night before. No low air pressure warnings, basically, I didn't drive on it flat. It went flat in the garage overnight. I'm going to have some words with a different store manager today. Granted, If the chances of it coming apart at a high rate of speed is possible, I won't hesitate to replace it. Heaven knows that injuring myself, a passenger, or an innocent bystander is not worth a $200 tire. Didn't know when I bought these, that they were use once, and throw away.

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
I picked up a screw in the middle of the tread on one of my rear original Goodyear runflats about two weeks ago. I really stressed over whether it could be fixed. Took it to Discount Tire where I have bought numerous tires. They took it off the rim, did a patch from the inside and said it would be fine. I think there is too much angst over repairing runflats. However, this is a daily driver but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want to make a high speed run on a repaired tire of any kind.

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was told that GY's could be repaired, but Firestones couldn't. Again, the thought of it coming apart at a high rate of speed scares me. I am realizing now, that the peace of mind, may just be worth a 200 dollar tire. I appreciate everyone's input :thumbsup: :cheers:

·
Grey Squirrel
22,780 Posts
Take that tire to any inner city "flat-fix" shop, you know, the ones that remove/repair the tires right at the curb. Ask them to patch it from the inside and you'll be fine. They'll have to have a machine able to handle the larger diameter tire though. Most of those shops deal with large tire size any way so they should have it.

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Take that tire to any inner city "flat-fix" shop, you know, the ones that remove/repair the tires right at the curb. Ask them to patch it from the inside and you'll be fine. They'll have to have a machine able to handle the larger diameter tire though. Most of those shops deal with large tire size any way so they should have it.
:agree:

That's what I would do. And since you drive like an old granny anyway, you won't have to worry about it coming apart. :D :laughing:

·
Registered
297 Posts
I was told that GY's could be repaired, but Firestones couldn't. Again, the thought of it coming apart at a high rate of speed scares me. I am realizing now, that the peace of mind, may just be worth a 200 dollar tire. I appreciate everyone's input :thumbsup: :cheers:
Sorry for taking a little detour here but this raises a question. Let's say I've got 12 maybe 13,000 miles on a set of vette tires and one goes flat. I go out and put a new tire on. Doesn't the one new tire have an effect on the handling? Maybe on a regular type car it doesn't but what about on a sportscar like a vette?

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
That totally depends on the AGE of the tires. If you have a set of tires that were manufactured 6 months ago with 12,000 miles, there will only be a difference in the performance of that tire that you replace. Will it affect the performance of the car? Nothing that you will probably notice with daily driving. On a track? Yea, you may notice a difference. Now a set of tires that have a 1000 miles on them and are 6 years old? Yep, you will definitely notice that difference with that one tire you replace.

It's a skewed scale so you can't really ask the question the way you're asking it without providing more information. Style of driving, weather and other factors play into the answer.

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Boy..........Do I feel embarassed:nuts:. I went to the Firestone dealer that I deal with today. Talked to the manager about repairing the tire. He punched it in the pc, and told me no problem. So I wheeled it out from the back of the truck, and gave it to their tire repair expert. The guy was pretty cool about it. I told him that the way I saw the car sitting on a flat, that I would not want to run on it at all, no matter what speed. He said, "Ya, Only want to do that on a runflat". To which a shocked me started to argue that this tire was an emt. This guy was smarter than I was:laughing: and pointed out that it wasn't. News to me! Sooooooo.........On an open and public forum, Let me apologize to EVERYONE who's ass I got int in the last 2 days. That is including YOU at Firestone Corporate HQ who was lucky enough to read my email first thing on Monday Morning. Amen :cheers:

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
:laughing:

It's been a rough few days for you Mark. Take the rest of the week off! :thumbsup:

·
Grey Squirrel
22,780 Posts
Boy..........Do I feel embarassed:nuts:. I went to the Firestone dealer that I deal with today. Talked to the manager about repairing the tire. He punched it in the pc, and told me no problem. So I wheeled it out from the back of the truck, and gave it to their tire repair expert. The guy was pretty cool about it. I told him that the way I saw the car sitting on a flat, that I would not want to run on it at all, no matter what speed. He said, "Ya, Only want to do that on a runflat". To which a shocked me started to argue that this tire was an emt. This guy was smarter than I was:laughing: and pointed out that it wasn't. News to me! Sooooooo.........On an open and public forum, Let me apologize to EVERYONE who's ass I got int in the last 2 days. That is including YOU at Firestone Corporate HQ who was lucky enough to read my email first thing on Monday Morning. Amen :cheers:
The word dumbass comes to mind for some reason but I'm not quite sure why..... :laughing:

We all make mistakes, no biggie :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The word dumbass comes to mind for some reason but I'm not quite sure why..... :laughing:

We all make mistakes, no biggie :thumbsup:
It's been a rough few days for you Mark. Take the rest of the week off!

Thanks you guys. And Ponch, I'll accept dumbass......:rolling::rolling:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts