Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey,

I here a noise behind me at low speeds. It sounds like something is loose in the trans linkage or rear end when I'm in 1st. Anyone have any idea what this is? I'm really not thrilled about taking the car into the dealer.

This noise is more of a chatter, when the car is moving under its own power (at idle). The car is an 06 with about 7400 miles, I've had about 18 mos.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
C6 rear ends, depending on how the car was broken in, can get noisy.
Nothing to worry about, though. It's normal.

How long have you had the car?

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
Is the noise always there or just when you go power on power off.

·
Only green will do...
18,403 Posts
I would defenitely have an experienced mechanic looking dont want noise from a new vette especially

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
I would defenitely have an experienced mechanic looking dont want noise from a new vette especially
That "normal" noise is not noisy, per se. Only if compared to a Lexus.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Describe the noise: is it a chatter or grind or is it more like a wine from the rear.
That would be most helpful in helping you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had my C5 in the shop this weekend for a turn signal replacement (the whole housing had to be replaced at $230.00. Regarding this thread, the service attendant said they have received a few C6's in for service, rear end noise. What they were told by GM to do was to replace the tansmission fluid, with another type containing something which deadens the noise.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Trannie noise and differential noise are not the same; well, to me they are distinctively different.

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
Hey OD youve heard of a thicker oil to deaden noise??Anyway ivor keep us posted either way.
A long LOOONG time ago, shady used car dealers would stuff bananas into noisy trannies and rear ends. That should work. :D

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Bring that puppy to PA and we will determine what the noise is: one was, believe it or not, worn tires.

I can tell a differential from a trannie with no problem and I know as Stan said that a thicker lube will not be an answer.

You change lubes for efficiency in these things but they are still synthetics and thin by petroleum standards.

I am between Gettysburg and York - - probably less than 2 hrs from you.

·
Registered
548 Posts
You made no mention if you had an Auto or Manual trans....

if it is a manual trans could be related to the clutch and its related components....

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
...and I know as Stan said that a thicker lube will not be an answer..
John: Sometimes I think you're the only guy around here that understands what I'm saying... :laughing:

Must be a generational thing.

Bring that puppy to PA and we will determine what the noise is...
When you've been around long enough, a good ear can differentiate between excessive pinion backlash and a bad bearing.
And I'm willing to bet, GrumpyVette could even tell you which gear tooth it was. :cheers:

·
Registered
19 Posts
The C6 has had problems with the limited slip differential clutch plates. GM has a service notice out on this. Mine started making a noise while going around a corner at slow speeds. Took it back to the dealer and they changed the oil and added more anti slip additive and it has been quite ever since.
Maybe this is what you have going on. I posted C6 Rear end noise and was amazed at how many others have had the same problem.
Hope this helps.

http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76338&highlight=C6+Rear+End+Noise

1 - 15 of 15 Posts