Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, Im looking at buying a 87 project car. Ive used the search and couldnt come up with much info on my question regarding rusting issues on a C4. Is the C4 prone to rusting on the undercarriage like the C3? If so, where's a guy to look specifically to make sure its a solid car? Ive read they are mostly aluminum and galvanized underneath, so all should be good, but no-one knows best like owners of these particular cars.

This car appears quite good, but it has an engine issue, which Im confident I can fix, but I'll admit I know little about the C4 vettes.

Thanks in advance. Great board by the way !:cheers:

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
Nothing that stands out in my memory as rust issues in the C-4. Most likely there will be an electrical issue, bad grounds and the like.

Good luck with the car, you gotta love the 87's:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
the only place my 86 shows rust is under the battery area.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good to know, anyone else got an opinion?

·
Premium Member
3,766 Posts
The general rule of thumb applies to Corvettes as well: if it has a lot of miles in a cold climate, it will have more corrosion from road salts. Look at the floor pans for bubbling. If someone allowed a removable top to leak for any length of time, it can soak into the carpet and cause damage over time. I can honestly never remember seeing a badly rusted out C4...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you, concensus says not as rust prone as other cars. Thats good. 99% of people where Im at park them a few months a year for winter, so chances are good that they will be ok.

·
Registered
547 Posts
but it has an engine issue, which Im confident I can fix,
Hate to burst your bubble but anything can be fixed with time and money. Nothing is more expensive than a cheap Vette. What engine issue? How is the trans? Rear end? What are your goals for the car?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My goals with the car are to get it running stock, drive it a while, then decide, which direction to go with it. Im a mechanic, but havent touched a c4. Many tpi Irocs and firebirds, but no c4s. Should be a piece of cake. They are basically the same engine/trans wise.

·
Registered
547 Posts
My goals with the car are to get it running stock, drive it a while, then decide, which direction to go with it. Im a mechanic, but havent touched a c4. Many tpi Irocs and firebirds, but no c4s. Should be a piece of cake. They are basically the same engine/trans wise.
Do you have access to OEM parts at good prices?

Quite the same except for a few things. For one, you have to tear apart an F-body trans to make it work in a C4 because the tailshaft housing is shorter as is the output shaft. Also a little plumbing is different.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not really oem parts, but parts discounts yes. Theres a few of us local chevy nuts that like to collect parts, we have a good assortment of tpi stuff. Besides- if need be I have a nice 406 carbed that will drop right in...if I do that I'll be changing that 700 tranny pretty fast !

·
Registered
547 Posts
Not really oem parts, but parts discounts yes. Theres a few of us local chevy nuts that like to collect parts, we have a good assortment of tpi stuff. Besides- if need be I have a nice 406 carbed that will drop right in...if I do that I'll be changing that 700 tranny pretty fast !
OK. If you can do that and turn a wrench, it might not be so bad as long as you have a place to work on it.

You say you have engine issues. Why not just dump the engine and swap something good in it? Take your 406 and install it. Rebuild the trans. I would think that you can find some sort of intake that will fit the 406 and allow you to have full functionality of your electronics without having to use carb.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I could do that, but that motors really for another project. (95sonoma) The car has a injection issue, I have 2 tpi setups under the work bench. Its likely just a combination of bum sensors or an issue with one of the parts. That 406 would blow a 700r in about 5mins, and we all know what it costs to build a decent one- thats out of my budget.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts