Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to say Hi and to find out if it's OK to hang out and ask some questions prior to buying my first Corvette. The things I know are that I want a convertible and either a C5 or C6. I just test drove an automatic and a manual C6 today. I thought I might like the automatic with tapshift but I was not impressed with how it felt, in fact I was underwhelmed so much I was considering putting off my purchase a while longer. Then I took out the manual and WOW that is what I was looking for! Wooo what a difference. Both had the Z51 pkg which I would want.

I put my current car, a 2004 Grand Prix GTP with the competition group package and several modifications, as my avatar so people would know who I was when posting. If that's not cool let me know and I'll pick one of the default avatars. At least until I reel in that new (to me) Vette.

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,513 Posts
Welcome to DC. You don't have to have a Vette to hang out here and the avatar is fine. As far as questions, ask away. There are a lot of knowledgeable people around these parts

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Welcome to DC, and hope you are able to experience the dream before long. There's nothing like it!!! :partyon:

·
DC Crew
13,185 Posts
Welcome to DC Glad to have you :cheers:

I don't have a vette yet either, But, I did find a beautiful 95 today. Now if I can only talk the wife into going to look at it ;)

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:buhbye: Welcome to DC :buhbye:

Oh Yeah !!!!!!!

About that Color
Get My Drift ?????
:thumbsup:​
Yeah! I've been looking at the Atomic Orange. Can't make my mind up. C6 or C5? M6 or A6? Not sure what is offered in C5, A4??? would definitely need a stall. Probably m^ for me - just for the fun of it. I hate the fact that an automatic would beat me at the track, but I'm mostly buying it to drive it. I'll have to do a few mods to make it more respectable at the track. that's the rub, I like the C6 better, but if I bought a C5, I'd have some $$$$ left over for mods. hmmmmm.... Haven't driven a C5 yet, need to do that.

BTW, thanks for the welcomes and for actually making me feel welcome here.

·
DC Crew
20,699 Posts
Welcome to DC :partyon:

You got yourself a fun dilemma there... C5 or C6. After driving both a C6 and C5 in recent looong trips, I can finally say I could make a detailed and informed decision. Though really, I could base it either way since they have strong similarities as confident platforms. Like you said, if you get a C5 you would have bucks left for mods. That's a major consideration to take into account if you want to mod. I personally would dive into getting new seats, Pfadt coilovers & swaybars, intake and headers as a first phase of C5 mods.

As for the C6, it really only needs a mild exhaust (the stock is EXTREMELY quiet, dare I dangerously quiet) and suspension touches. I found the Z51 kinda harsh on over the long stretch, which surprised me cause the shocks in my '85 have zero gas left in them and it doesn't phase me. It was decent for most normal driving, luckily the seats support every part of you during the ride but the car takes the blunt of the rough ride. While I haven't had a chance to ride in a C6 with Pfadt coilovers, I assume it's as insanely pleasing as with the C5, so I'd probably upgrade there too. Other than that I didn't find anything else the C6 needed... but this is just me babbling.

Of course if the horsepower bug call, feel free to answer.

:devil:

·
Registered
754 Posts
Welcome...

I just test drove an automatic and a manual C6 today. I thought I might like the automatic with tapshift but I was not impressed with how it felt, in fact I was underwhelmed so much I was considering putting off my purchase a while longer.
I believe this is one area that is being improved in the 08.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dan85Vette, excellent thoughts. I'm interested in more info about the pfadt coilovers and swaybars. I like your thoughts.. also would be interested in what seats you would swap to. when I drove back to back C5 and C6s the C6 just moved much more effortlessly. Granted I didn't drive them for longer than 10-15 min each. I would be interested in adding a supercharger mainly because I'm partial to the sound and I like the extra HP.

c6Z51, Yeah I just saw that but I think I'm getting a manual if/when I get my Vette. At least for my first one.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts