1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
Why keep the dude alive ? What for ? What purpose could possibly be served by it ? Poor kid.

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Kind of makes you long for the old "eye for an eye" laws. Get someone's German Shepherd to chew that MF's eye out and let him spend the rest of his life contemplating his actions. :crazy:

·
Banned
9,760 Posts
Sorry for the boy and the entire situation, but this plea is the cost of freedom. Our legal system sucks but it is better than any other in the world. This guy will probably never see freedom again and with any luck he will off himself in the mental hospital.

I know that most of you hate my saying this stuff because it grinds on our humanity to let a monster like this go on living, but the truest sign of love for your country is loving it after knowing the worst of it, and it doesn't get much worse than this. This is the law of the land that we all love and these laws are what makes the USA the greatest country in the world, warts and all. :(

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
All of that is true, of course, but the one thing that grates on me is the "Not Guilty" part. Of COURSE this monster is guilty.

"Guilty, but insane" would have been much more appropriate - but I realize that some states don't yet allow that verdict. In any case, no verdict or earthly punishment would represent justice. We must trust that, sooner or later, this criminal will get what he truly deserves.

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
Sorry for the boy and the entire situation, but this plea is the cost of freedom. Our legal system sucks but it is better than any other in the world. This guy will probably never see freedom again and with any luck he will off himself in the mental hospital.

I know that most of you hate my saying this stuff because it grinds on our humanity to let a monster like this go on living, but the truest sign of love for your country is loving it after knowing the worst of it, and it doesn't get much worse than this. This is the law of the land that we all love and these laws are what makes the USA the greatest country in the world, warts and all. :(
Can't argue with your point of view -other then to point out that a penalty of death is also an option that our county tolerates... and is better for it.

·
Banned
14,241 Posts
Maybe we could test new burn treatments on this guy?

·
Banned
9,760 Posts
Can't argue with your point of view -other then to point out that a penalty of death is also an option that our county tolerates... and is better for it.
Our forefathers some of them very well respected lawyers established that no person could go to trial if he did not understand what was happening to him. This falls into that situation and would make the death penalty even less of a possiblity.

If you wnat to think about what sort of metal our forefathers were made of, just think back to the trial of the british soldiers accused of the Boston Masacre. Everyone wanted them found guilty, they were brithish soldiers in a coloney that didn't want to be a coloney anymore. But under death threats and horrible intimidation, John Adams mounted an excelect defense that proved the soldiers not guilty. It was this verdict that gave new meaning to the honor of the United States as a place of laws and freedom. Of course we were not yet the United States but the place was already known even if the name and legal title of nation had not yet been won. It is that heritage that we must all keep in mind in the hard times.

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
If you read the story, you see that after gouging out his sons eyes, he went to the back yard in his wheel chair, cut his legs with an axe and a broken plate, and then claimed the Mexican Mafia attacked him. But he was seen injuring himself by neighbors. This action - trying to fake an attack in order to cover up his crime - shows he knew what he was doing was wrong. He should not have been able to get away with an insanity plea IMO. Just because a crime is bizarre, doesn't mean the perp is insane. The insanity defense was meant for people who are in a state of mind where they truly do not know the difference between right and wrong. This was clearly not the case with this guy.

·
Registered
889 Posts
If you read the story, you see that after gouging out his sons eyes, he went to the back yard in his wheel chair, cut his legs with an axe and a broken plate, and then claimed the Mexican Mafia attacked him. But he was seen injuring himself by neighbors. This action - trying to fake an attack in order to cover up his crime - shows he knew what he was doing was wrong. He should not have been able to get away with an insanity plea IMO. Just because a crime is bizarre, doesn't mean the perp is insane. The insanity defense was meant for people who are in a state of mind where they truly do not know the difference between right and wrong. This was clearly not the case with this guy.
/very well stated Tex!

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Absolutely Disgusting

I hope people come to this little boys aid,

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
I wounder if he answered "yes" when given his Miranda rights ? Is failure to take your medication a valid plea for your actions ? If it is, do your actions warrant the claim if you are inebriated ?

Furthermore, Our forefathers willingness to grant mercy upon those deemed unfit to stand trial, by reason of insanity, have been perverted. As they defined insanity to no different then a "wild animal".

·
Banned
9,760 Posts
I think the very act of chopping at your legs with an axe kind of sets the stage for a true nut. The fact that he blamed the Mexican mafia was probably just part of his psychosis. It is not easy to fool a criminal psychiatrist, even with acts like chopping off your legs. If you have ever seen an insane person in real life you would understand thier ability to seem sane and calculated, while decidedly niether.

Remember that his crime was not one of any personal gain either. I could see him trying to hide his crime after say killing his wife or his child but to bite his sons eyes, is again just the actions of an insane person.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
I don't think there is any question of his sanity.

Or his guilt.

"Guilty but insane" is appropriate. Anything that includes the words "Not Guity" is not. JMHO.

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
I think the very act of chopping at your legs with an axe kind of sets the stage for a true nut. The fact that he blamed the Mexican mafia was probably just part of his psychosis. It is not easy to fool a criminal psychiatrist, even with acts like chopping off your legs. If you have ever seen an insane person in real life you would understand thier ability to seem sane and calculated, while decidedly niether.

Remember that his crime was not one of any personal gain either. I could see him trying to hide his crime after say killing his wife or his child but to bite his sons eyes, is again just the actions of an insane person.
It's probably a good thing for this guy he didn't do his deed in Texas:

What does “Insanity” Mean in Texas?

Texas has some of the most restrictive laws concerning the insanity plea in the US. In order to qualify as legally insane, a defendant must be able to demonstrate that at the time of the crime, he or she did not understand that his or her actions were wrong. This is a common definition of insanity, but Texas law is unusual in some ways:

• The law does not clarify whether the word “wrong” refers to morality or the law.
  • Jurors are not given any guidance on how to define “wrong.”
  • Jurors are not informed of what the sentence for the defendant will be if he or she is found not guilty by reason of insanity.
Does the Insanity Plea Work?

Although many people worry about defendants literally getting away with murder by using the insanity plea, these fears are overblown. This defense is rarely even attempted: it is only used in about 1% of federal trials. And among the very small number of defendants who use it, only 26% are found legally insane by the jury.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
And among the very small number of defendants who use it, only 26% are found legally insane by the jury.
So 74% of those that claim insanity are actually lying to the court! :down:

3 out of 4 :down:

·
Banned
14,241 Posts
Pissed and killed someone vs nuts and killed someone

The nut is more likely to reoffend, so...

I have never been a fan of the insanity defense. IMO, you would have to be insane at some level to kill someone.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts