Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had a chance to talk to a friend of mine who has been with GM for almost 20 years as a zone rep and a tech guy in Georgia. He happened to be helping me with a problem with my work vehicle.
I asked if he knew any thing about the C6.

He was very blunt in saying that it will be similar to the XLR, shorter body but same or longer wheelbase. Less overhang, reminds me of the old Chrysler "cab forward" thing that Iaccoca pitched. He also said the base engine is pretty much the same old LS1, 05 version...HP at 350-360 ish.

Not what I wanted to hear!!!

·
Super Moderator
10,115 Posts
stilcrazee,

Based on his responses, my bet is that you and I have read and seen much more about the C6 than this particular GM employee. Not everyone at GM is a vette follower and yet most want to appear to be "in the know" when questions are asked. This is, IMO, exactly why and how we end up hearing so many diverse "facts" about the C6. These "facts" have HP ranging from this new low of 350-360 up to as high as 475 HP for the base C6. I won't even touch on the various appearnce "facts."

I know you posted in good faith, but the source IMO does not sound credit worthy. Keep listening though, that next one might be Lutz's grandson or something!

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Wow same Hp as the Ls1. I dont think GM has anything to gain by putting that engine in the new Car. I think if they put the Ls6 in the C6 we will still be disapointed. Im thinking 425 - 435 would be nice for base model and then the Z06 having 500 + hp. Combine that with the lighter more aerodynamic body and we have a rocket on our hands. We can only hope.
im counting down the days.:D

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
the motor is an LS2,it look's just like the LS1 to me,but was suppost to have 385 to 405 hp.this was a while ago right from one of those G.M. media meeting's,i thought this was old new's already,like the fixed headlight's.corvette fever even had picture's of the LS2,maybe 6 month's ago.....:smokin:

·
Registered
8,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
This is a lifelong kid down the block friend, he is a Vette man, 02 Z06 and a 71 in his garage, back in the early 70's he had a 63 that he redid and won a class at VetteFest in Chicago. He also has about 10 other Gm vehicles scattered around his property. Years ago he was THe Vette mechanic at a suburban Chicago dealership.

He did say that 06 will bring a different drive train including from what he has heard, dispacement on demand. Also that there has been some talk of a limited production "Super Vette" something in the 700 HP area and a $tag in excess of 100k.

He may not be getting the correct story from those around him but his story to me wasn't his speculation, he got it from somewhere. Time will tell.

Forgot to mention fixed headlights, but I think we have figured that out.

·
Registered
12,668 Posts
it would not suprise me if G.M. put's out confussing info just to keep people quessing.they sure have done a good job hidding the real car.only 50 + day's,and we still only have the cammo photo's.
oh,and the priceless DC.com photoshop master's.:D

·
Registered
8,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Probably an accurate statement. i know they fired several of the original team working on the car because they sopposedly leaked info or discussed it with non team members.

I really don't know if what my friend told me is the truth, he was at work when Italked to him. there are other specifics about him thatI won't mention on line in case he is telling me anything that may get his arse bounced.
He does have a few real nice toys at home....

·
Registered
12,668 Posts
no doubt....:thumbsup:

·
Registered
393 Posts
stilcrazee said:

Also that there has been some talk of a limited production "Super Vette" something in the 700 HP area and a $tag in excess of 100k.

I've heard that too!!! 700 HP and DOD! And probably a V12, and the name would be Grand Sport

Is that true? Could it be?

·
Super Moderator
10,115 Posts
stilcrazee said:
This is a lifelong kid down the block friend, he is a Vette man, 02 Z06 and a 71 in his garage, back in the early 70's he had a 63 that he redid and won a class at VetteFest in Chicago. He also has about 10 other Gm vehicles scattered around his property. Years ago he was THe Vette mechanic at a suburban Chicago dealership.
Thanks for the background. There seems to be little doubt that he's conveying exactly what he hears. All I can say is that if the base vette engine is rated at anything less than something in the low 400's HP, Ford marketing will have a field day with Mustang commercials - oh, and the C6 will NOT sell well. He's talking HP that is a K&N away from an LS1.

At every car show I attend I hang around the vette display and talk to the people there. Even if I don't start with a knowledgeable person, I seem to always end up with one. More often or not at some point we discuss the corporate line about the rigidity of the FHC being required for the 405HP, others of our ilk gather round and we scoff at and shoot holes in the "policy." Without fail the GM "rep" will break down and admit that he gets this everywhere he goes. Everyone wants 400+HP in a targa & vert.

Even if GM did not monitor Vette websites (thereby passing up free marketing studies), from many other sources GM has heard the same thing from vette owners - more power, arg, arg (per Tim Taylor). Power and value have always been the vette credos. Even in the depressing, emission choked 70's, Vette HP was near or at the top available - just not much was available. Today even 400 HP does not cause the same level of salivation that it did 24-18 months ago. MB has three cars spouting 469-492 HP. This is M e r c e d e s B e n z, not Lingenfelter. HP is not everything, but creditability IS and HP is instant creditability when combined with the expected C6 package. Less than 400 will be a wimpy marketing flop and cost GM big time lost sales, while making Ford's case to step down to a new, better Mustang. Ugh, excuse me while I go loose my breakfast at the thought.

End of Rant (against possible GM foolishness, not you).

·
Registered
12,668 Posts
i beat an AMG on the highway not to long ago.two guy's in suit's looked like they were on there way to lunch,went from 60 mph all the way to 145.i gave the guy a big thumb's up because they did not look like they would push the car that much.that car gave me the best race i had in a long time.

i think the XLR should be a indication of how the c6 will be.they did not flop on that car,and they will never flop on the vette.
damn,shouldn't have said never.:laughing: i would like to have both.:thumbsup: :buhbye:

oh ya,i think Patrick mentioned not to long ago,that 4 new member's were,blah,blah,@G.M.com.probably checking out the killer photoshop work....:smokin:

·
Super Moderator
10,115 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hi hawai-5-lo,
would also like to know what AMG did you race and what mods you have on your Vette. My LS1 Hardtop Coupe has blackwing, modified mass air flow sensor, Vortex powerduct, ported throttle body, LS6 intake and open exhaust. I met a SL55 AMG some weeks ago but this son of a b... was considerable quicker (at least up to 150mph) - obviously this one had a speed limiter.

·
Registered
12,668 Posts
Hey's guy's,it was a silver coupe,(2-seater).i didn't get to stare to much at the car,that's all i really know.there's a few car's that look just like it,but don't say AMG on them.
My mod's are minor.Halltech T-1 Cobra intake,65% fan shroud cut out for the filter.Ported and polished (at home) MAS no screen or air foil.Home ported and polished Throttle body,with the PCV tunnel filled and drilled with a 1/4" hole drilled through,gutted cat's with o2 simulator's,gutted and welded muffler's,IAT relocation kit,that's it,oh,and it's an auto/3:15 gear's.lowered 3 ",and red sway-bar's,motor,and caliper's.that had to add some power...:laughing: after going from 60 to 120,i was only about 1 car ahead.funny that he would race me,but the Ferrari's never race.i can't get the doctor at work to race his Ferrari either.I even told him,"your going to pull on me,i just want to see how close the race is.:buhbye:

·
Super Moderator
10,115 Posts
"Coupe" Sounds like it could be a CLK AMG. They were hot, but not the kind of HP we've been talking about. Even if it was the high HP coupe, those are heavy enough that you should have won. It's the little SL with 492 HP that should play fits with vettes, IMO.

What do you think Urbman?

·
Registered
12,668 Posts
one thing about the C5,is great once your rolling at 30 mph on up,the run-flat's really hurt the 0-60 time's.
i beat car's with more horsepower alot.(at the track.)
i thought AMG was an aftermarket company,not part of Benz:(
i wonder how much power is at the rear wheel's for the Benz.i really don't pay too much attention to the hp number's,take a Z06 for example,one can say it's ONLY 405 hp.it will eat up the Benz for lunch.
didn't the new Mazda RX-8 just get busted for false horsepower number's?
seem's like most car's have to have a turbo just to try to keep up with the vette.good old push-rod V-8,hope they never change that,at least as long as there's an internal combustion engine.
how much torque does the Benz have?:buhbye:

·
Super Moderator
10,115 Posts
Originally posted by hawaii-5-lo i thought AMG was an aftermarket company,not part of Benz:(
MB bought AMG several years ago and helped start the in-house-tuner trend that along with BMW's "M" has resulted Audi RS, Jaguar "R", and Cad's new "V". Might have helped the upcoming resurgence of Chevy's "SS" models too.

... didn't the new Mazda RX-8 just get busted for false horsepower number's?
Yes. They originally advertized 250+ (253?) HP but the smogged rotory ended up at 238 HP.

... how much torque does the Benz have?:buhbye:
I don't have the AMG torque handy, but I remember being impressed as to how close it is to the HP. This is NOT an S2000 situation (240 HP and 10 ft/lbs tq). The AMG engines are all supercharged, by the way. Please don't misunderstand - I do not prefer MB AMG to Vette!!! I just respect them.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Well, no wonder the Ferraris won't race, they've got the HPs only at the paper.
Yes, that's right, you can order an AMG as RPO at any MB dealer.
AMG has been bought by MB some years ago.
The SL55 AMG I had to deal with is claimed here in Germany at 500hp/6100rpm and 510fp/2700rpm. It is a 5,5 liter V8 3 valve OHC with compressor. Despite it's claimed 1955kg it's really going.
I have some test reports here from german motor journals, none of them has reported 0-200kph (124.22mph)times slower than 12.5sec.
Because of it's weight and it's mandatory automatic tranny the SL55 won't have a chance against a Z06 at a narrow racetrack, but considering straight acceleration the Z06 would be eaten up. The best Z06 0-200kph time I've read about was 16 seconds.

--I forgot to add - the base price in Germany is 126,556.- EURO.--
For that money I buy a Z06 and an Automatic Convertible and have the money left for a nice Chevy Silverado!!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts