Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This email from my son Tom, in Utah working on his jeep....i'ts funny, so bear with me, while I go back a few decades in time....

:rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

Opening the box to my Tomken transfer case skid, I was immediately pleased. 3/16" steel plate, bent to match my stock crossmember, a few bolts and a black powdercoat finish. Exactly what I ordered.
Today I went to install it, and had some learning experiences. I'll be brief...
1. If it can go wrong, it will. THe plate itself fits perfectly - except for the catalytic converter exhaust clamp. The U-bolt goes down too far below the stock crossmember and therefore the plate doesn't fit. Solution? Obviously, loosen the exhaust clamp and flip it 180 so the nut end is out of the way. Right? WRONG. You will inevitably break a rusted exhaust clamp bolt, and the other nut will strip out before it loosens. You are now ****ed by the fickle finger of fate. Congratulations.
2. Plan for #1. I parked the Jeep on the other side of the lot from the nearest power outlet. This is relevant because, due to the fickle fingering of fate, I now need to sawzall the exhaust clamp. This means taking it down off of jacks (which have put neat little patterns into the surprisingly soft asphalt parking lot. Whoops) and shoving it in neutral across the parking lot. The issue is that there is a rise in the lot only perceptable in retrospect. While pushing harder might ordinarily work, there was gravel on the ground which resulted in a loss of foot traction. A pair of bloody knees was the result. Several obscenities later, the bolt is severed by sawzall.
3. Transmissions are heavy. The plate mounts directly across the stock crossmember, which supports the trans. If you want to get everything to line up right, you have to support the trans and stop ****ing around trying to do it by hand. Which means you have to go back across the parking lot and get the jack. Now you can bolt the ****er in place.
4. You haven't a prayer of getting it all done in a reasonable timeframe, so plan ahead. THe drill bits needed to finish the job and get ALL the bolts in place aren't in your tool bag. Not even close. So go to the hardware store and get them. Right? Not a goddamn chance. It is a small town in Utah and the hardware store closed hours ago. So go buy a new exhaust clamp and two new Irwin drill bits tomorrow and finish this crap up.

Gotta say though - this is a real handsome piece of steel I've halfway installed.....

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
:lookinup: Thats some story:thud:

·
Registered
738 Posts
LOL, sounds like most of my projects

·
Certified Stalker
4,077 Posts
flat-belly plates FTW!!

(my jeep's getting a modified to have a piece of flat steel or aluminum plate cover the entire underside)

·
Registered
879 Posts
Experiences like that are what send my car to the shop, instead of trying to do it in my driveway. I too, have no garage, only an asphalt driveway that is too soft to support a jack stand without a sheet of plywood underneath.
I'll do the jobs that I can, like radiators, alternators, water pumps and the like, but I pay to have the big jobs done. I have found that sometimes it is more time and cost efficient to just send it to the shop.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Ahhh...the Sawzall and expletives...we've all been there:rolling:

·
Registered
166 Posts
Sawzall?
It's usually the thermal persuader, and the expletives with me. Usually after a hot piece of slag some how finds its way around my leathers, and burns through a layer of clothes igniting the fur underneath. My wife says the dance that follows is rather entertaining. :crazy:

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Hehehe I think we can all say "been there, done that". I only have a car port but at least it has a concrete floor - my beastie has been on jacks for ages now.

I bought a floor crawler thing so I could scoot around instead of trying to shuffle on my back like a wounded caterpiller. Fantastic idea except I didn't realise before how much my head must have been clearing the brake disc.

Brake disc = 1
My forehead = 0

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hehehe I think we can all say "been there, done that". I only have a car port but at least it has a concrete floor - my beastie has been on jacks for ages now.

I bought a floor crawler thing so I could scoot around instead of trying to shuffle on my back like a wounded caterpiller. Fantastic idea except I didn't realise before how much my head must have been clearing the brake disc.

Brake disc = 1
My forehead = 0
Damn crawlers are a PIA...too high...every inch under a car is critical, I even got desperate and tried making my own design....no go...still too high...

I find a slick surface, like some rubber from a bowling alley I use currently... slid on the crete, and then a blanket on top of that...slide myself right under there really easy...easy to shove out also.....another thing would be a sheet of formica, but it shatters easy...maybe glued on a piece of ply about 1/2 inch thick.....

:cheers:

·
DC Crew
2,988 Posts
Damn crawlers are a PIA...too high...every inch under a car is critical, I even got desperate and tried making my own design....no go...still too high...

I find a slick surface, like some rubber from a bowling alley I use currently... slid on the crete, and then a blanket on top of that...slide myself right under there really easy...easy to shove out also.....another thing would be a sheet of formica, but it shatters easy...maybe glued on a piece of ply about 1/2 inch thick.....

:cheers:

cardboard works nice.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
517 Posts
:laughing: :rolling: :laughing: :rolling:
:thumbsup:
Have a beer or 12 on me, man!
Oh ****--Utah---have 24 'available' beers on me, and tell ya what I'll spring for $35 for a case of real beer next time I come through, OK? Get the order in ahead of time!!:rolling:
:laughing: John

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
:laughing: :rolling: :laughing: :rolling:
Have a beer or 12 on me, man!
Oh ****--Utah---have 24 'available' beers on me, and tell ya what I'll spring for $35 for a case of real beer next time I come through, OK? Get the order in ahead of time!!:rolling:
:laughing: John
FINE, I'll let Tom know, he be glad to drive your car .....

beFORE the beer killing contest....

:rolling: :cheers:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts