Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone out there with a C6 in a state requiring a front plate and not put it on? It looks aweful :thud: with the front plate I would not want to put it on but i was wondering if anyone has any experience with the police not having a front plate mounted?

·
Registered
596 Posts
I never used a front plate on my Corvette when I lived in NY State. I never got in any trouble. So far, no problems in VT either.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Drakarula said:
Thanks.

Sweet ride. Like the mods.
Thanks....Cruise night tonight @ K Mart on Hempstead Tpk just east of Wantagh Ave. Lots of Vettes there. We will be there about 5:30 till about 8, a long as it doesn't rain:thumbsup:

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the invite but I don't own a vette yet. I am contemplating either a Convertible Z51 or going for a new Z06. I have a Porsche 911 Cab and hate it!!! :bang I will never buy a German car again.

·
Registered
316 Posts
front lics plate

my two cents for what its worth.....
Here in little old B.C. Canada a front plate is required BUT i cannot bring myself to trashing the front end of my car with some ugly lics plate bracket SO.... what i did was fabricate a frame holder around my front lics plate and then attached two suction cups to the back of this holder....I then stuck it in my trunk. When i get pulled over (and i do) I simply tell the officer that the lics bracket i had made is "not staying inplace'" and that it had just fallen off...... invariably they suggest that i get it fixed (without ticketing me). works for me. I got this idea from another local c6 owner.:cool:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Drakarula said:
Thanks for the invite but I don't own a vette yet. I am contemplating either a Convertible Z51 or going for a new Z06. I have a Porsche 911 Cab and hate it!!! :bang I will never buy a German car again.
Thats ok....Their are a lot of other cars there besides vettes...even frustrated VW's:laughing:

·
Registered
584 Posts
I'm in Virginia and so far I've gotten by without a front tag. I've only had my Z06 for a little over three weeks however. I do not intend on running a front
tag. I'll just take the penalty when ever it comes. That's another thing I
don't know what the penalty is here in Virginia yet.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Thank goodness there is no front plate here in Arkansas. If there was I would pay the fine if I was stopped.

When I lived in Colorado they ran front plates. It was a $10.00 fine if you were ticketed but owned a 94 from 94 until I moved in 98 and never was questioned or stopped.

And if that isn't bad enough, have you seen the C6's with front plates in Europe - looks like they go halfway across the front of the car.

·
Registered
440 Posts
They are usually on the look out in NJ, I've gotten nabbed several times in my old C4, complete with ticket every time. I've got a C6 coming in a few weeks, and I plan on taking my chances...no way that car gets the front plate on it.

On a quick side note the no plate tickets did affect my getting a new insurance policy...even though it wasn't a moving violation, the insurance companies in NJ take any opportunity to keep your rates high. BS if you ask me.

·
Registered
584 Posts
jasbogart said:
They are usually on the look out in NJ, I've gotten nabbed several times in my old C4, complete with ticket every time. I've got a C6 coming in a few weeks, and I plan on taking my chances...no way that car gets the front plate on it.

On a quick side note the no plate tickets did affect my getting a new insurance policy...even though it wasn't a moving violation, the insurance companies in NJ take any opportunity to keep your rates high. BS if you ask me.
I'm in Virginia and also not running a front tag. What is the fine in NJ for
no front tag and did your insurance go up for this or just affected getting
new policy?

·
Registered
110 Posts
No NY Plate

I too opted to skip the plate. I got a ticket over the summer on the LIE ($90!) and a warning on the Throggs Neck Bridge. So now I use EZPass and try to avoid toll booths with cops. It's definately a shame - because I don't want to break the rules, but the car simply wasn't designed for it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
There is one consideration that nobody seems to mention. There are times when you don't want to be stopped for anything. Not having the required front plate in those states requiring one is a reason (excuse?) to be pulled over.

·
Registered
584 Posts
northernplus said:
There is one consideration that nobody seems to mention. There are times when you don't want to be stopped for anything. Not having the required front plate in those states requiring one is a reason (excuse?) to be pulled over.
I don't care if they have an excuse to pull me over. I'm not running the front
tag. I will be completely legal except for the front tag. If they wanted an
excuse and I had a front tag they could say anything for a reason to pull me.
[/IMG]

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I don't own a C6 yet but the front plate looks like an eyesore. Like mentioned previously in Europe the front plate looks like a Hitler Moustache!! :bang

Wow $90 bucks on the LIE. DAMMM They have no mercy. I think I will take my chances of mounting the plate to the bracket and storing it in the trunk like someone mentioned before. If you get pulled over tell the cops it fell off and I will re secure it. They might have some consideration then. I like the suction cup situation of mounting it if you need it but only parked. The suction will never hold during driving. If you get a ticket and take a photo that makes it appear on the car I wonder if the ticket can be dismissed?

·
Registered
440 Posts
Yeah, in Jersey I remember it being about the same...$80-$90 a pop.

When it came to insurance it was the difference between a $900 policy and a $1,500 policy, and thats not even considered a moving violation.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts