Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
want to put new o2 sensors in my '03 coupe because it has 81k. question is how many are there, i think 2, should i get stock one's or upgrade to better ones if there are any and about hoe much are they, i've looked them up online and they vary in price from $30-$70. also roughly how much to get them installed. thanks in advance.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I thought there were 4. Two before the cats and two aft. Someone else will chime in I'm sure with first hand knowledge.

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
You can leave them, but o2 sensors do get "lazy" as they age. I personally would. I do it at every 50,000 mile mark. 30,000 with headers. Super easy job. Just dont drop the new sensors when you buy them, an old saying, " a dropped o2 sensor, is a bad o2 sensor".

·
Registered
606 Posts
thanks for all the input, i've since spoken to a few freinds in my club and they said the same thing. so i'm gonna leave well enough alone for now.

Your friends should stick with baking because they know crap about cars.

Bosch even says 02s should be replaced every 30,000 miles

How would you work after being in 800-1,000 degree exhaust temps ?
Add the crappy E10 gas 02s were not designed for require replacements at least for best performance every 30-40K miles

Older they get the more lazy they get and report FALSE AFR that causes the PCM to incorrectly adjust, degrades the CATs, cost of fuel mileage and performance so the price of at least the 2 front 02s for less then $100 is not asking a lot for a Corvette.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Your friends should stick with baking because they know crap about cars.

Bosch even says 02s should be replaced every 30,000 miles

How would you work after being in 800-1,000 degree exhaust temps ?
Add the crappy E10 gas 02s were not designed for require replacements at least for best performance every 30-40K miles

Older they get the more lazy they get and report FALSE AFR that causes the PCM to incorrectly adjust, degrades the CATs, cost of fuel mileage and performance so the price of at least the 2 front 02s for less then $100 is not asking a lot for a Corvette.
I'm no mechanic, but this statement is backed up by what I saw on two guys garage a week or so ago when they were working on a C5. Esp the part about the O2 sensors getting "lazy". They hooked up some sort of diagnostic tool and visually showed the slower performance of the old O2 sensors vs. the new ones they put in.

Not that I particularly care for this show (they don't typically show enough of the actual work being done for my tastes), but I watched it because they were working on a Corvette. There is a link below if you care to watch for yourself.

http://www.twoguysgarage.com/index....corvette-project&catid=41:season-10&Itemid=80

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
Nice link, never watched those guys before. The c5 Ken Schrader brought in only has 70,000 miles. Down on power, but idles fine. Had the same issues mine had, a misfire under load ( weak coil) and lazy o2 sensors.
So a modern day tune up required,.. clean your fuel system, including tbody and MAF, change any weak coils and change the o2 sensors. Car has power back. Those vids described my car to a T. I used all MSD coils and wires just cause...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts