Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:lookinup: Neocons going apeshit..

US ending its air combat role in Libya

The Pentagon is about to pull its attack planes out of the international air campaign in Libya, hoping NATO partners can take up the slack.

The announcement Thursday drew incredulous reactions from some in Congress who wondered aloud why the Obama administration would bow out of a key element of the strategy for protecting Libyan civilians and crippling Moammar Gadhafi's army.

"Odd,""troubling" and "unnerving" were among critical comments by senators pressing for an explanation of the announcement by Defense Secretary Robert Gates and Joint Chiefs chairman Adm. Mike Mullen that American combat missions will end Saturday.

"Your timing is exquisite," Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., said sarcastically, alluding to Gadhafi's military advances this week and the planned halt to U.S. airstrikes. "I believe this would be a profound mistake with potentially disastrous consequences."

Gates and Mullen, in back-to-back appearances before the House and Senate armed services committees, also forcefully argued against putting the U.S. in the role of arming or training Libyan rebel forces, while suggesting it might be a job for Arab or other countries. The White House has said repeatedly that it has not ruled out arming the rebels, who have retreated pell-mell this week under the pressure of a renewed eastern offensive by Gadhafi's better-armed and better-trained ground troops.

"My view would be, if there is going to be that kind of assistance to the opposition, there are plenty of sources for it other than the United States," Gates said.

The White House press secretary, Jay Carney, said he saw no contradiction between Gates' remarks and President Barack Obama's statement that "he has not ruled it in or out." As yet, none of Obama's top advisers have publicly advocated a significant expansion of the U.S. role aiding the opposition.

Gates and Mullen were early skeptics of getting involved militarily in Libya, and Gates made clear Thursday that he still worries about the possibility of getting drawn into an open-ended and costly commitment. That explains in part his view that if the rebels are to receive foreign arms, that task _ and the training that would necessarily go with it _ should not be done by Americans.

Gates said no one should be surprised by the U.S. combat air pullback, but he called the timing "unfortunate" in light of Gadhafi's battlefield gains. He noted that the air attacks are a central feature of the overall military strategy; over time they could degrade Gadhafi's firepower to a point that he would be unable to put down a renewed uprising by opposition forces, he said.

The other major source of U.S. firepower during the two weeks of combat in Libya has been the Navy's Tomahawk cruise missile, launched from ships and submarines in the Mediterranean. None was fired overnight Thursday, U.S. defense officials said Friday. They spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss such details.

It was not clear whether the U.S. would continue attacks with Tomahawks beyond Saturday.

The number of U.S. Navy ships involved in the campaign had shrunk to nine as of Friday, compared to 11 at the start of the operation, and it is likely to shrink further in the days ahead, other defense officials said. Among targets struck in western Libya overnight Thursday by U.S. Air Force F-15 and F-16 fighters were a radar site and a military vehicle that transports and elevates missiles into firing position, one of the defense officials said.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2011/03/29/national/w085508D96.DTL#ixzz1IIwoGPAq

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
I'm glad he did

If indeed we are on our way out

Tho I have my doubts

He's pissed away What ? 700 million or more of our $$$$$ Tax dollars on Libyans

He didn't mention that he was going to make Libya a better place to live when he ran for office :nuts:

Also Americans like me could careless about Libya or it's people

And quite frankly they're not my responsibility

Obama Does not have much support for this war

And most Americans are Dead set against it

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
The North Atlantic Treaty Organization or NATO

The United States alone accounts for 43% of the total military spending of the world and the United Kingdom, France, Germany, and Italy account for a further 15%.

:laughing:

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
Soooo, why the hell did he go in the first place?:huh:

Really, we had no place in the affair to begin with now we stepped in threw some really expensive guided munitions at dubious targets and now we are leaving before anything is finished? This was the military eqivilent of a 3 year old throwing a tantrum.:crazy:

Well at least we are that much closer to the federal government going bankrupt and the begining the process of picking up the pieces of our nation.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts

Really, we had no place in the affair to begin with now we stepped in threw some really expensive guided munitions at dubious targets and now we are leaving before anything is finished? This was the military eqivilent of a 3 year old throwing a tantrum.:crazy:

Well at least we are that much closer to the federal government going bankrupt and the begining the process of picking up the pieces of our nation.
This is what community activists do. Step in and stir the **** up, and then step back and watch it all explode. He's only doing what he knows. Obama lacks the leadership ability to make an honest, hard, decisive decision. I also believe Libya was political toward 2012. He needed something that he could say he accomplished, but it turned into just another of his losses.

·
Banned
14,241 Posts
First they bitched that he went in at all. Now they bitch that he is pulling out.

When will these two-faced mutherfuckers just shut the hell up already?

·
Registered
6,097 Posts
Why can't NATO take over without the US providing the brunt of forces? Think it's time that other NATO countries step up and become a force without the US always giving credibility to them and their actions.

·
Registered
12,410 Posts
First they bitched that he went in at all. Now they bitch that he is pulling out.

Look at it this way...This is the guy that ran around apologizing to the whole world for how ****ed up America is, and then he goes and gets himself into more wars than both Bush's ever did...and they call him smart? :laughing:

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
:agree:

·
Registered
3,516 Posts

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

What ?

I said" I was glad we were leaving Libya

The whole thing makes no sense

And I hate the middle east

One day their Muslim thinking is going to invade America

and that will be the day American life as we know it ends

So I say ' Get out now and never return there

Its the most Phucked up place on the planet

And our government is plugged right in over there

What does that say about our Government ?????

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
Does anybody hear realize that Omar has killed and hunted down more al-Qaeda terrorist than any other muslims? He might be a bad person but he was helping us out. And now Barry is not so sure the "Rebels" will work for us:crazy:

maybe thats whats going on here?:lookinup:

·
Banned
12,109 Posts

The UN needed the US in for the first strike.

Although I constantly argue with preacher about how advanced or behind we are with our military as compared to other nations with weapons and gear....

We........ ARE.........currently.........the most experienced, battle hardened, upgraded, and experienced military force in the world, due to fighting two wars for the last 10+ years.
The UN needed our more advanced first strike tech and experience.

They knew..... up front..... that we were going to commit to the first strike and then step back.

Libya represents a future wmd gamble, that has vested the interest in close UN oversight, and Gadhafi's possible removal.

I expect the UN forces to stay commited untill Gadhafi's arms supply have been exhausted.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts