Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Banned
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whaddaya think about our C5's becoming obsolete ?
Like it or not......they will be soon :(

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
Not obsolete just alot cheaper to buy. The C-4 didn't go away because of the C-5. It's just a different flavor.

·
DC Pit Crew
11,957 Posts
there will be people that prefer the C5 over the C6 just like people prefer the C4 over the C5

·
DC Crew
53,220 Posts
Well, they aren't VHS players! But, as long as they have 350hp and an internal combustion engine... I suppose there will always be a need for those C5 clunkers. LOL!:laughing:

·
Banned
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Punk Boy said:
there will be people that prefer the C5 over the C6 just like people prefer the C4 over the C5

I have both and there is no comparison.....the C5 is way better......
I , for one , am not to thrilled with this new evolution. Maybe it will grow on me by the time I buy it:surprised

·
DC Crew
4,751 Posts
I bought my wife a 2000 and gave it to her on Christmas 01.

The part about this that stinks, is my car payments don't change...eventhough the car is now out of date.

Right now, I am not impressed with the looks of the C6. That is actually a good thing. From what I have seen, I am in no rush to get rid of the C5, or regret that purchase.

I can't say I felt the same when the C5 came out. Heck, I couldn't get rid of my 85, 86 pace car, and 89 coupe fast enough back then!

Now that they have moved on though, certain things will become obsolete.

You will quickly find all the aftermarket suppliers distancing themselves from the C5 and primarily offering products and services for the C6. If you own a C5 like we do, going to car shows, etc will be a big drag,,,as all the tuners, displays, etc will again be C6 focused.

·
Registered
8,067 Posts
If you took the production figures for total C5's produced (gotta wait til 04 production is over) you're gonna find a boat load of vehicles that will need parts and mods. Yeah some of the mods may be discontinued but I don't think all the after market vendors will drop the best moving products.

I also think we will see a glut of pristine condition used C5's on the market in about 2 years. Once folks get used to the C6 body style and some used ones start to hit the market coming off short leases.

That is unless GM has an embargo on short term leases. :laughing:

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
The C5 will never be obsolete. Just like the C1, C2, C3 and C4 are not obsolete.

With the arrival of the C6 it just makes putting a cam/supercharger package on my 02 Z06 so much easier. :D

·
Banned
1,838 Posts
I sold my 99 C5 with 26K miles..for my present corvette which now has 20K miles on it..

I'm not trading in this Vette until I get over 50 or 60K miles..

I don't care if the pope himself suggests this car is "the one to own" (j/k)

I believe the looks of the new C6 are absolutely STUNNING! I love it. I see it as a world class design.

with the c5 having longer overhangs..in relation to its wheelbase it has a different "era" look to it..

Still if you've ever looked back to classics like the 1970 Ferrari Daytona..(not that the c5 looks like it specifically) you can see a stunning car..same goes for many cleanly designed cars..that don't use wings and spoilers for wow factor..

The clean smooth lines of the C5 will be a winner for years to come..even as the C6 now takes its proper place in the SPOTLIGHT!

Think of it this way...when you see a Corvette like Patricks 1996 lt4 grand sport..

What do you say to yourself?

I know I'm aways in awe when I see earlier corvettes whether its a C1,C2,c3,c4!

Now the C5 can join the ranks of the past greats in Corvette history!

·
Grey Squirrel
22,780 Posts
I don't think the C5 is going to ever be out of date. A Corvette is a Corvette no mateer what year it is. I also don't think you're going to see a glut of them come on the market at rediculously low prices. Although there are some people who will pay the over sticker cost of the C6 there are alot more who will wait a few years until the novelty wears off. We all remember that the 97 C5 went for sticker or better when it was introduced. As for the aftermarket companies leaving the C5 stuff in favor of the C6, that will NEVER happen. Not in my lifetime anyway (if I were to be hit by a bus tomorrow). Sure the C6 is a big story, but the novelty will wear off and it will be the 2005-2XXX Corvette. There are a ton of all other year Corvettes out there and the resale for every year is still showing that they hold value. I'm just afraid that with all the upgrades to the C6 that before long you will see a price of $60000 which will lock many people out of the market. So if they really want a Corvette they'll look at the other generations. Another question, do you relly need DVD navigation and heated seats in a Corvette? Just my opinion.

·
Banned
1,838 Posts
I don't want or need heated seats or a naviagation system..(SP) but I bet it sells like crazy.

Tons of corvette owners love this stuff.

I have to say the navigation system probably is a cool thing to have though..

See what happens?

·
Banned
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Lew said:
:agree: Lew :agree:

I disagree.....while I like old vette's , model T's and such......they are obsolete......not usless, just obsolete...............:(

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
vettex2 said:
I disagree.....while I like old vette's , model T's and such......they are obsolete......not usless, just obsolete...............:(

Wouldn't obsolete be useless? I have an old Tandy 1000 computer that is obsolete (useless) I wouldn't view an old car that way.

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
The styling looks similar,so it won't look what some people call "dated",but to me vettes and certain other model cars have timeless styling.At big shows all generations of vettes get major attention.Just comes down to what you like.I still love the C4 with a passion,and will have a C4 supercar one day.I like the C5 the best so far,and will never sell this one,just customize.Just my opinion anyway...:buhbye:

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
vettex2 said:
I'll buy an obsolete 67 big block anytime :D

·
Banned
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
raidmagic said:
Wouldn't obsolete be useless? I have an old Tandy 1000 computer that is obsolete (useless) I wouldn't view an old car that way.
A model T is obsolete but not useless.
Maybe obsolete is the wrong word....

Main Entry: 1ob·so·lete :pronunciation: "äb-s&-'lEt, 'äb-s&-"
Function: adjective
Etymology: Latin obsoletus, from past participle of obsolescere to grow old, become disused, perhaps from ob- toward + solEre to be accustomed
:eek:f a kind or style no longer current : OLD-FASHIONED

no , I think it's the right word
:(

1 - 20 of 40 Posts