Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was talking with a person(who will remain nameless,as I don't know if this is fact,or BS, I just wanted to throw it out there and see what you guys think),who made the comment that there will be a vette with transparent paint(ala candy clear coat) to show off the carbon fiber underneath the panels....He mentioned it being on the upper tier models,ie, Z06,and SS in the near future. Supposedly, the clear coat is tinted a desired color and applied as the base/clear normally would, but it shows off the carbon fiber in a dramatic way. Anyone else heard of this? Sounds nutty, but it'd sure be an attention grabber.

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
It doesn't sound good to me. I would think the waves in the panels would look weird.

·
DC Pit Crew
11,957 Posts
i call bs.....they'd have to use carbon fibre weave for all the panels..and GM doesn't use a weave...

"To diminish that effect and preserve the rich LeMans Blue paint finish, on the Commemorative Edition Z06 the carbon fibers are aligned in a single direction. The only visual cue that the hood is made from carbon fiber is in the red border surrounding the silver graphic on the car, which is arranged in a woven pattern signifying the material that lies underneath. The overall result is a finish consistent with the rest of the car that gives just a slight hint at the carbon fiber construction."

http://www.corvettemuseum.com/specs/2004/index.shtml

doesn't mean that they won't change but i doubt it...and if they they were going to go through the trouble to do that they could just color the resin that is used... much like this....

·
Registered
1 Posts
I couldn't confirm the Vette color statement but I will say that the Cadillacs have a couple of colors that have a tinted clearcoat already. The Mary Kay Pink Cadillacs that we build here in Lansing use the Diamond White basecoat with the clearcoat tinted pink. Our Dark Jewel Red (This is the inhouse name I don't know what it is called at the dealership)is a two color with a flatter base and tinted clearcoat.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts