Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New Study Shows That Offshore Drilling Could Make Alaska the Eighth Largest Oil Producer in the World – Ahead of Libya and Nigeria.

(CNSNews.com) – A new study says drilling on Alaska’s Outer Continental Shelf (OCS) could make Alaska the eighth largest oil resource province in the world -- ahead of Nigeria, Libya, Russia and Norway.

The report -- by the consulting firm Northern Economics and the University of Alaska-Anchorage’s Institute of Social and Economic Research -- says that developing Alaska’s OCS could produce almost 10 billion barrels of oil and 15 trillion cubic feet of natural gas, create around 55,000 new jobs and produce $145 billion in new payroll nationally, generating a total of $193 billion in government revenue through the year 2057.

A senior policy advisor with the American Petroleum Institute, the trade group for hundreds of U.S. oil and gas producers, said in a statement about the study that offshore drilling for oil and natural gas can help with the country’s energy and economic needs.

“America will need all forms of energy to get our economy back on track, and that includes oil – we can either produce it here and create more American jobs or import it and create jobs elsewhere,” Richard Ranger said. “The administration and Congress need to adopt an ‘all of the above’ energy approach that leverages our offshore resources in Alaska to create an energy plan for America that boosts, rather than inhibits, our economy.”

About 77 percent of world oil reserves are owned or controlled by national governments and the U.S. currently imports over 60 percent of its crude oil, according to API. The Northern Economics-University of Alaska study estimates that Arctic offshore development could cut U.S. imports by about 9 percent over 35 years.

Crude oil prices in New York broke through the $100-a-barrel threshold on Thursday, with rising prices linked to the unrest in the Middle East, including Libya and its vast oil reserves.

The Washington Post reported on Thursday that U.S. pump prices for regular gasoline jumped 4 cents a gallon overnight to $3.23, an 8-cent-per-gallon increase in the past week and 55 cents more than a year ago.

“Given the current political turmoil in the Middle East and increased demand from a slowly growing economy, it is more essential now than ever before that we develop Alaska’s OCS to increase domestic production,” Ranger said. “Increased OCS production in Alaska would also extend the operating life of the 800-mile Trans-Alaska Pipeline System (TAPS), a critical lifeline of domestic energy for America.”

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/new-study-shows-offshore-drilling-alaska#

·
Registered
120 Posts
Drill Here !!!! Drill Now!!!! Screw the Hippie tree huggers!! I don't want to here how drilling in Alaska is going to Kill the Polar Bears or start gobal warming !!! If killing every bear in Alaska will get the price of gas down below $2.00 a gallon, I say it sucks to be a Polar Bear!!

·
Registered
534 Posts
Drill Here !!!! Drill Now!!!! Screw the Hippie tree huggers!! I don't want to here how drilling in Alaska is going to Kill the Polar Bears or start gobal warming !!! If killing every bear in Alaska will get the price of gas down below $2.00 a gallon, I say it sucks to be a Polar Bear!!
We could feed the polar bears with tree huggers , that would
take care of two problems . :D

·
Banned
7,823 Posts

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
When they drill, they still will charge $3-$4 a gallon. They already see that we will pay that amount now, there not going to make it cheaper. Them sons of bitches.

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
personally, i cannot fault them for charging what the market will pay. that is the way a free market system works

·
Registered
120 Posts
personally, i cannot fault them for charging what the market will pay. that is the way a free market system works
:agree: except that it's not truely a free market. trust me if a company was allowed to drill here and not pay the $120 a barrel price tag, that company would under cut the price at the pump to take the bigger share of the market and make up the difference in volume, much like wallyworld did.

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
that is true, one could look at OPEC as a trade union, or a monopoly that would never be allowed to start up in the US- hell they said microsoft was too successful...but then again, when you hold all the cards you can bet as much as you want

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
When they drill, they still will charge $3-$4 a gallon. They already see that we will pay that amount now, there not going to make it cheaper. Them sons of bitches.
Oh What a wise man you are,

Yes ! They and their investors will only inflate the price to what it currently is now and Higher $$$$$$$

You'll never winn that game lol

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
:agree: But as long as the Greenest 10% of our population has outsized influence over the rest of us because of their huge financial support of the Democratic Party, this drilling won't happen. However, when energy becomes too expensive to afford, the masses will demand exploitation of these reserves. It won't get drilled now, but it will eventually.
As for oil companies keeping the price up, oil companies don't set the price of oil, commodities markets do. They will sell the oil for whatever it is worth on the world market. They have an incentive to keep production up and prices affordable , because if they choke the supply back too much and raise prices too high, demand drops and they lose money. If you don't belive me, check out the reason OPEC has been a total failure at keeping prices sky high.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
:agree: But as long as the Greenest 10% of our population has out sized influence over the rest of us because of their huge financial support of the Democratic Party, this drilling won't happen. However, when energy becomes too expensive to afford, the masses will demand exploitation of these reserves. It won't get drilled now, but it will eventually.
As for oil companies keeping the price up, oil companies don't set the price of oil, commodities markets do. They will sell the oil for whatever it is worth on the world market. They have an incentive to keep production up and prices affordable , because if they choke the supply back too much and raise prices too high, demand drops and they lose money. If you don't believe me, check out the reason OPEC has been a total failure at keeping prices sky high.
Well prices aren't affordable,

And their Causing inflation nationwide

In fact they have Bankrupted a few airlines and Truckers are having a hard time Making a Buck,

We in California Recognize a Scam when we see one :nuts:

·
Registered
25,253 Posts

In fact they have Bankrupted a few airlines and Truckers are having a hard time Making a Buck,

I agree that they are too high, but if you think this is damaging, just wait until this middle eastern turmoil makes a severe sustained drop in supply world-wide. Gasoline cold be 3-5 times as high as now. At that point, maybe you conspiracy theorists will begin to buy into the supply and demand market reality.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
I agree that they are too high, but if you think this is damaging, just wait until this middle eastern turmoil makes a severe sustained drop in supply world-wide. Gasoline cold be 3-5 times as high as now. At that point, maybe you conspiracy theorists will begin to buy into the supply and demand market reality.
Yeah thats the whole problem with Big Oil

Were pumping all our cash over to the Middle east to help fund

Al Qaeda and other terrorist groups :nuts:

Keep the cash here,

Burn E85

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
but but but what about all the "not in my backyard" people who demand we do not drill or refine here? they are the only ones the dems listen to

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
but but but what about all the "not in my backyard" people who demand we do not drill or refine here? they are the only ones the dems listen to
Because they are convinced you don't have to do that messy drilling. You can just grow your gas in Iowa.:crazy:

·
Registered
120 Posts

3 years ago when the price was over $3 a gallon it was ALL the Presidents fault, and the Democrats demanded action! It's funny I haven't heard Nancy blaming the President this time or demanding him do something to fix it. In fact the President addressed this very thing just last week and said everything is fine and that the high price was just temporary and would come back down shortly.

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
never mind the fact that if we used all available farm land for growing said biofuel corn, we would only be able to supply 5-10% of our fuel needs....never mind all of the **** we use oil for other than gasoline-which is a far larger % of oil

·
Registered
120 Posts
Yeah thats the whole problem with Big Oil

Were pumping all our cash over to the Middle east to help fund

Al Qaeda and other terrorist groups :nuts:

Keep the cash here,

Burn E85
E85:rolling:. Really? Did you see what E85 did to the price of corn? The demand for corn skyrocketed and so the price. The price of feed for cattle and other livestock went up and the price of meat went up. Are ya seeing the pattern here? Oh and by the way how much is a gallon of E85, don't forget to add into it that you get less miles to the gallon using E85.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
E85:rolling:. Really? Did you see what E85 did to the price of corn? The demand for corn skyrocketed and so the price. The price of feed for cattle and other livestock went up and the price of meat went up. Are ya seeing the pattern here? Oh and by the way how much is a gallon of E85, don't forget to add into it that you get less miles to the gallon using E85.
The oil corps temporarily inflated the price of corn to inflate the price of ethanol

Besides we dont want corn ethanol we want Ethanol from sugar cane, And brasil can supply the US with Billions of gallons of Ethanol , "105" Ocatne ....... Think 14:1 compression llol

Its coming you just dont know it Yet

Thats why chevy is making Flex fuel vehicles and they are now adding 15% Ethanol to Gasoline

1 - 20 of 27 Posts