Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay I've been traveling the roads (day and night) in Maryland for a while now and noticed that the State Troopers are using some sort of speed calculating for vehicles, and my Valentine One (V1) unit never shows that they are there. Last weekend while driving the Ohio Turnpike I noticed the cops there using some device but nothing again registered on my V1 unit.
Can someone tell me what they are using? Or point me in the direction to information about this subject.
:huh:

·
DC Crew
53,226 Posts
tgroghan said:
Okay I've been traveling the roads (day and night) in Maryland for a while now and noticed that the State Troopers are using some sort of speed calculating for vehicles, and my Valentine One (V1) unit never shows that they are there. Last weekend while driving the Ohio Turnpike I noticed the cops there using some device but nothing again registered on my V1 unit.
Can someone tell me what they are using? Or point me in the direction to information about this subject.
What did this device look like?:huh:

G

·
I could be VASCAR.

It is a timing device that measures speed between two points. No radar required. Most times it used by air patrols but ground units can use this as well as long as they have two pre-measured points of reference. All the do is time you crossing the points and the machine tells them your speed.

·
Registered
113 Posts
tgroghan said:
Last weekend while driving the Ohio Turnpike I noticed the cops there using some device but nothing again registered on my V1 unit.
The Ohio Highway Patrol use aircraft frequently, but you wouldn't see a device at the ground unit because there is none (you wouldn't even see the cruiser until they had you.)

OSP quit using VASCAR in cruisers years ago, and again you wouldn't "see" any device.

Lately OSP is using LIDAR (laser) heavily.

;)

·
Registered
402 Posts
In MD especially on major highways they paint stripes on the roads... Watch out for these stripes they are perpendicular to the lane lines and only stick in to the lane about a foot maybe a foot and a half... Just enough for the cops to get a reference.

·
Premium Member
7,092 Posts
I personally hate these speed traps :spanked:
Do you even know what constitutes a "speed trap"? I doubt it. :rolleyes:

Let's just throw away all of those speed limit signs. That way everyone could go as fast as they want without regard for public safety. :crazy:

·
Registered
16,252 Posts
Do you even know what constitutes a "speed trap"?
What constitutes a speed trap???

Guess I've never been caught in one yet...:D

I do use the cruise control in my car alot though just so I don't speed...my cars seem to like to go faster than that damn speed limit sign. :thud:

·
Registered
881 Posts
I work for the Ohio Turnpike and know quite a few troopers through my work. They are using laser and patrol by air on the Turnpike. Very safe road but, they will nail you if you are running past 72 mph, sometimes as high as

Also for your information, The Turnpike is the only road in Ohio that you can actually just get a ticket for triple digit speeding. (its a big one!) They won't arrest you and take you in for reckless op. But, do me a favor and be careful out there....we like to see our patrons make it home.:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
7,092 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts