Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 06 Z06 is a little over a year old. It has 1025 miles . I called the dealer and asked if I should have the oil changed and the service manager said no. Does that sound right
Thanks Zinon

·
Grey Squirrel
22,780 Posts
My 06 Z06 is a little over a year old. It has 1025 miles . I called the dealer and asked if I should have the oil changed and the service manager said no. Does that sound right
Thanks Zinon

1025 miles is nothing, I wouldn't change it. Synthetic oli does not absorb moisture from sitting idle the same as dino oil does. If it makes you feel better, change it at the end of the summer season before you lay it up for the winter.

·
Registered
92 Posts
If you've had the oil in there a little over a year, I'd get it changed.

Since this is your first change, you probably have some metal particles on the magnetic drain plug.

When I go to the dealer, I don't ask if its time to change the oil, I tell them to change it.

Your 1st oil change is free, doesn't make any difference how many miles on the car.

I had mine changed at 500 miles, just for peace of mind.

augydog :cheers:

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
Thanks Zinon

I would diffidently get the oil changed ...I would also have them look at the odometer it should have at least 10,250 on it by now. I think it dropped a zero..:laughing:

·
Registered
307 Posts
I've never heard that....not that I'd bring the car to the dealer for a change anyway.
The local dealer that did my first oil change apparently torqued the rear drain bolt to around 100 ft/lbs (spec is 18, BTW) and I needed my impact wrench to get it off (the front one was around 50-75 ft/lbs). :crazy: Needless to say, I'm now inclined to do it myself.

·
Registered
92 Posts
The local dealer that did my first oil change apparently torqued the rear drain bolt to around 100 ft/lbs (spec is 18, BTW) and I needed my impact wrench to get it off (the front one was around 50-75 ft/lbs). :crazy: Needless to say, I'm now inclined to do it myself.
When I had my 1st oil change done, I stood right there and watched, in addition, I supplied the torque wrench for the tech to use. I Also set the torque value to 18 Lb ft. myself. Didn't have an oil filter tool, so don't know how tight he made it.

Damn, good help is hard to find! :smack

augydog :cheers:

·
Registered
265 Posts
Can you imagine how much condensation is in the oil after the temperature changes over a year with that little driving. Dump the oil. Your driving an expensive car - why scimp on the most important single maintenance item? :nuts:

·
Registered
580 Posts
Personally I would change the oil every year regardless of the mileage, but then again I have the oil changed in my Z every 3,000 miles.

Now, then in her BWW we just change it once a year.

I'm like everyone else, never heard of the first oil change is free.

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
I've heard of other that do too. I've had 46 cars - not one free oil change.:WTF
I have had at least 25 or 30 free oil changes from my dealer over the years.
Guess I must be lucky. I do know I have a great dealer. We have bought at least 6 new cars from him, I guess that may have some thing to do with it. I like to get to know every one at the dealership from the GenManager to the lot boy. and trust me if your going to get to know any one start with the lot boy, he is the one that moves your car...

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I've seen people talking about changing this synthetic stuff every 7-10k miles. :WTF I still do it every 3-4k, just like with my conventional oil cars. I got a ford expedition to 175000 miles on the original engine, so it must work. It costs me about $36 to change the oil & filter in the vette myself, so I consider that VERY CHEAP 'life insurance' for a $52,000 car. Plus, it gives me more money to spend burning off tires :cheers:

·
Grey Squirrel
22,780 Posts
I got a ford expedition to 175000 miles on the original engine, so it must work.
I got a 1991 Cavalier Z24 to 245,000 miles on the original motor, clutch, and tranny. My oil change interval was consistantly 6000-8000 miles.:huh:

I never once checked the tranny fluid :laughing:

I currently run a 300M with 155,000 miles and going strong. Oil change interval is usually 7-8K,

·
Registered
505 Posts
Thanks Zinon
I always change the oil after the first thousand miles. I did it with the Z06 as well. I'm REALLY impressed that you have been able to restrict your mileage! I had every intention of doing that, but the car is just too much fun to drive!:D

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I always change the oil after the first thousand miles. I did it with the Z06 as well. I'm REALLY impressed that you have been able to restrict your mileage! I had every intention of doing that, but the car is just too much fun to drive!:D
Work is what's restricting me. You are right it is a lot of fun to drive.

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
I never got a Free oil change on any of my new Corvettes:thud:
I change my oil once a year or 3000 miles:D
I did the first one @ 500 miles:devil:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts