Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short.
Two leaking injectors, flooded two cylinders. After reconditioning all of the them at WitchHunter, sugested by Grumpy the wizard because they did an excellent job, I reinstalled them. Hope your reading this Grumpy! I also squirted oil into the cylinders before replacing the new spark plugs as sugested by someof you because all that fuel would have stripped the cylinder walls of oil.
When I fired the engine up it ran strong while tons of smoke was blowing out of the exhaust pipes. I figured it was the oil burning off. Then all of a sudden the engine began to run rough until it stalled.
I figured the plugs got all fouled up on the right side because that side of the tailpipe was blowing a rich mixture.
I removed the plugs on the right side and cleaned them, checked their spark and noticed a yellow kornel as opposed to a blue kornel. Shouldn't it be blue?
Is it posible that all that oil ruined the plugs?
Can that happen by severely fouling them with oil? Thanks for any replys guys.
Rick

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
viscount said:
How much oil did you put into the cylinders?

Check your 02 sensor (s). Could be fouled? :huh:

Any DTC'S set?
1) I squirted just about 1/2 squirt from those little oil cans which have the flexible nozzle.
At the risk of sounding ignorant, what are DTC's?
If you mean, has the system sent me codes, than no. I did get a reading on the dash display indicating "check gauges" which never appeared before.

·
Registered
155 Posts
If you cleaned the plugs thoroughly they shud be useable. If "check gauges" is illuminated there shud be a code stored in there somewhere???????

Would that much oil have fouled the cats???

I'll get the manual out & see what I can find.

Are you familiar with the procedure for checking for DTC'S, diagnostic trouble codes? Have you grounded pins 12 to 4 on Data line connector? If your not familiar with procedure check this site for detailed info.

http://www.corvettephotographs.com/c4vettes/index.htm

I checked the manual for 95 Check gauges indicator & the reasons for the light coming on are,

1. Oil temp above normal operating temp.
2. Coolant temp gauge above normal operating temp.
3. Fuel level low.
4. Low oil pressure.

The above is with no codes set.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
viscount said:
If you cleaned the plugs thoroughly they shud be useable. If "check gauges" is illuminated there shud be a code stored in there somewhere???????

Would that much oil have fouled the cats???

I'll get the manual out & see what I can find.

Are you familiar with the procedure for checking for DTC'S, diagnostic trouble codes? Have you grounded pins 12 to 4 on Data line connector? If your not familiar with procedure check this site for detailed info.

http://www.corvettephotographs.com/c4vettes/index.htm

I checked the manual for 95 Check gauges indicator & the reasons for the light coming on are,

1. Oil temp above normal operating temp.
2. Coolant temp gauge above normal operating temp.
3. Fuel level low.
4. Low oil pressure.

The above is with no codes set.
Yes I did ground the 4 & 12 pins and no codes came up in any of the modules. My fuel guage does read Reserve so your right in your assessment that the check gauge indicator would come on.
I have removed all of the plugs once again and will have them blasted at the shop today in hopes that it will remove all of the oil residue. I'll check to make sure the kornel is sparking blue. All of the plugs on the left side were sparking a yellow kornel which lead me to believe theat even though I cleaned the plugs with a brush, it wasn't enough.
My next thought would be that the O2 sensors are all fouled up causing it to send a bad reading?

·
Registered
155 Posts
ricks94vette said:
Yes I did ground the 4 & 12 pins and no codes came up in any of the modules. My fuel guage does read Reserve so your right in your assessment that the check gauge indicator would come on.
I have removed all of the plugs once again and will have them blasted at the shop today in hopes that it will remove all of the oil residue. I'll check to make sure the kornel is sparking blue. All of the plugs on the left side were sparking a yellow kornel which lead me to believe theat even though I cleaned the plugs with a brush, it wasn't enough.
My next thought would be that the O2 sensors are all fouled up causing it to send a bad reading?
Keep after it......:cheers: Might be a good idea to throw in a few gallons of gas! You never know.

·
Registered
501 Posts
i put a ''squirt'' of oil in every engine that we ''revive'' after sitting more than a couple months...let it sit for about an hour after that so the oil can seep down to all the rings...never more than a good cigar puff of smoke when she fires up.

need to do a compression test of all cylinders, start with the easy to hit ones first...big worry is the flooded cylinders, a ''hydraulic bind'' can do big hurts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
glasrtlr said:
i put a ''squirt'' of oil in every engine that we ''revive'' after sitting more than a couple months...let it sit for about an hour after that so the oil can seep down to all the rings...never more than a good cigar puff of smoke when she fires up.

need to do a compression test of all cylinders, start with the easy to hit ones first...big worry is the flooded cylinders, a ''hydraulic bind'' can do big hurts
Did a reading on all of them last night as a matter of fact. I got a range of 175 - 182 between all of them. They all held those numbers without any leaking.
Does this sound OK to you?
Once again, the smoking did stop and it ran fine until it began to run rough and stall. No oil was blowing out of the pipes at that time.

·
Registered
501 Posts
compression is good...that is good... all the big $ things are ok.

now we come to a fork in the road and hafta take it..fuel or spark? do the easy one first: fuel pressure...does it come up to 40 lbs for 2 seconds if you switch the key on?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
glasrtlr said:

now we come to a fork in the road and hafta take it..fuel or spark? do the easy one first: fuel pressure...does it come up to 40 lbs for 2 seconds if you switch the key on?
I checked it before I reconditioned the injectors but I'll check it again tonight.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
glasrtlr said:

Well, the pressure only came up to 11lbs. Turns out I was out of fuel. :bang
Put fuel in and she fired right up!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts