Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an oil leak on my 87 L-98. It leaks about 3" diameter drop of oil everytime that I drive it. It is a PITA and I would like to fix it.

There is no oil coming from the valve covers. The top of the engine is clean and dry all around the valve covers. The heads look to be dry as well. The leak is on the passenger side towards the rear of the block but not the on rear. Because it is dripping on the side of the oil pan, then onto the headers. It looks to be coming out above the oil pan because the block it wet above the pan.

The only area that I can't see is behind the starter. I think that I have read before that there are oil passage plugs in this area. Is this true and could this be my problem? I would like to know before I pull the starter for nothing.

Thanks in advance,

Tim

·
Registered
351 Posts
Can you see the area where the dip stick tube is pressed into the block it some times developes a leak or maybe the oil pan gasket, I've never heard of a passage plug leaking. Good Luck:buhbye:

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
Airflow could be blowing the oil up, making the leak look like it's coming from some where else. But, i would look closely at the oil pan gasket.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replys guys. Keep them coming. I will get the car up again and look closer at the pan this weekend.

Tim

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
O.K. I spent the afternoon under the car. I pulled the starter. The block was mostly dry behind it. The pan was tight and no leaks there.

I took a look around and it looks like the oil might be coming from the back side of the intake manifold then running down the corner of the block and onto the header on the passenger side. I cleaned everything under the car and will drive it during the day to see what is going on. BTW the dipstick tube is in good condition.

The questions is could the intake hae a big enough leak to drip down and make a a few 3" drops of oil?

Thanks for all of the help,

Tim

·
Registered
623 Posts
Toolman said:

The questions is could the intake hae a big enough leak to drip down and make a a few 3" drops of oil?

Tim
Ohhh sure! If you drive it 3 miles I doubt it. But if you cruise around for 10 to 15.... you betcha!

·
Registered
351 Posts
:agree:

·
Super Moderator
8,488 Posts
heres how generally to replace intake gaskets

USE THE CORRECT SIZE QUALITY INTAKE GASKETS, THROW AWAY THE END TABS, clean BOTH the lower intake pads and the block rails and the cylinder heads mateing surfaces around the ports with a flexable scraper/putty knife, then degrease with a rag damped with acetone,both the intake surfaces and block and heads with a acetone damp rag ,CAREFULLY LIGHTLY dimple both the block rails and lower manifold matching pads with a center punch several dozen times on each end and each surface, then degrease with the damp rag again , place a 1/4" thick bead on the lower intake surfaces (black RTV) then a 1/4" wide bead on BOTH the block rails ,run a THIN bead of black RTV around the water transfer ports on each end of the intake,gasket BOTH SIDES BOTH ENDS then carefully install the intake,useing a long phillips #2 screw driver to line the bolt holes helps as does having two guys lower the intake vertically so no sliding it back and fort is necessary, on the gaskets , line up the bolt holes in the intake with the gaskets, the two beads of black RTV will blend, let them dry inplace for at least 8hrs the little dimples add greatly to the holding ability of the RTV

http://www.babcox.com/editorial/cm/cm100178.htm

http://www.professional-products.com/General Manifold Instr.pdf

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had the exact same problem on my '87 L98. I used the "dimple" procedure described by Grumpy. Its been two years since I did the repair and it hasn't leaked a drop since.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the information on the fix guys. I really appreciate it. I will have to wait a few weeks because of my schedule. I will post the outcome later.

Thanks again!!!:thumbsup:

Tim

·
Extra Crispy
5,119 Posts
Thanks Grumpy, I'm mechanically challenged. Question on the 8 hr thing: I ASSume you tighten the bolts and let it dry 8 hrs before starting?:huh:

·
Super Moderator
8,488 Posts
yes.. if I have the option , and am not pressed,
ILL always let the gaskets set up over night before adding coolant and starting the engine!
youll find youll have less oil leaks that way!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts