Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm the new and second owner of a 1979 L-82 4-speed. This is my first Corvette (Owned a '69 Camaro for 14 yrs.) and I am experiencing an annoying problem. I have an oil leak that seems to be coming from the back of the engine (rear seal?) Has anyone had any experience with this type of leak? What is the fix? Does the engine have to be pulled? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Rear seal leak is pretty common with chevy V8s, try to see if it's the oilpan casket that is leaking or are the oilpan bolts tight enough?

Welcome to DC and hope to see you car on the 79 registry soon!:partyon: :cheers:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the welcome. I checked the oil pan bolts as a start. They were all loose and tightening them helped. Now the bulk of the leak just seems to be in the back of the engine.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
REPLACE THE PCV VALVE first, clean the engine Drive it a little & check the back of your Intake manifold, valve cover gaskets & oil pressure switch & oil filter.... if there ok you probably need a rear main

·
Registered
749 Posts
had the same problem on my '81...always seemed to be a leak some where and it was in the same spot you desribed. i thought it was a rear seal too, so i said the hell with it. i eventually changed valve cover gaskets and the oil pan gasket. while under there i wiped everything clean and it's been almost a year and it's still dry as a bone. :) some times the valve covers might leak in the back, or even the distirbuter...giving a false impression that it's the rear main seal.

at one time someone, in their infinite wisdom, used only hi temp RTV sealant as a gasket on the valve covers. big difference with real gaskets in place.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
All very good advice.:cheers:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Reply to Oil Leak

Thanks to all who have offered suggestions on my oil leak. The only two items that I have not done are replace the oil pan gasket and the oil seal itself. Since the car is essentially put away for the Winter now, I will replace the oil pan gasket and give taht a try. When we get some nice weather, I'll see if I still get drips. That would certainly be a much cheaper alternative and probably a whole lot easier too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts