Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Saturday I discovered a spot of what appeared to be oil, or at least, some kind of lubricant under the back of RDZEPLN. It was a clear oil, with no smell.

The strange thing is, the location of the oil. It was about 1 foot from the very back of the car, and exactly between the rear wheels. There is nothing above that area that has any lubrication, just the trunk area.

There were no other spot anywhere under the car. I took it out for a drive, to heat everything up. came home , parked it, and put a paper towel in the spot location.Dry as a bone for 2 days now. Very strange. Any thoughts??

Thanks,

ZEP :cheers:

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
seems to be water did you wash your car before you drove it in to you garage ?
Nope, not water.It was a lubricant of some sort.I've parked in the sane spot for 2 years and have never seen anything.

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
And what were you doing in the garage before you parked the car?

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And what were you doing in the garage before you parked the car?
Good question Ivan.Ihad vaccumed and mopped the garage 2 days earlier, so it was clean. I never used anything with a lube in it near the car.

Are all fluids color coded.?.This was clear, and looked new.

ZEP

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sounds to me like the rear is leaking…..you may have moved the car before you noticed the leak. Just keep on eye on it.

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds to me like the rear is leaking…..you may have moved the car before you noticed the leak. Just keep on eye on it.
I park it in the same spot every time.Never have parked it where the spot was, as far as engine,tranny or rear end goes.

Thanks.

ZEP

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Not sure about a Vert, but the Z06 has a depression in the floor of the trunk which has a weep or drain hole under the carpet. I've had a bottle of "detail spray" stored in the area that did not survive a "spirited" drive. Snapped the spray head off and leaked out of the hole. :spanked:Took until the next time I needed it to discover all was gone.

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I juat did a search on rear end leak, and found a post by AJ aka Junkman,explaining that there ia a differential exhaust overflow that can blow fuid in order to release pressure and heat after some high speed driving.

I think that is the answer. Jill and I went out and did some high speed driving, and it was hot, maybe 109*. So I believe what I had on the floor was gear oil that was released from the exhaust valve.

What say you all?? You can find his post using my search method. Makes sense to me.

ZEP

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not sure about a Vert, but the Z06 has a depression in the floor of the trunk which has a weep or drain hole under the carpet. I've had a bottle of "detail spray" stored in the area that did not survive a "spirited" drive. Snapped the spray head off and leaked out of the hole. :spanked:Took until the next time I needed it to discover all was gone.
That was the first thing I checked. See my new post. The Junkman may have answered my question.

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
:devil:That's what I was going to say. It didn't involve a certain hot blonde did it?:surprised:devil:
:laughing: Jill does leave a spot on occasion..:spanked:

·
Premium Member
13,918 Posts
:laughing: Jill does leave a spot on occasion..:spanked:
Well you did say lubricant so of course my mind when straight into the :toilet

About the liquid, could it be coolant or is that colored? I really am not much help.:thud::laughing:

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well you did say lubricant so of course my mind when straight into the :toilet

About the liquid, could it be coolant or is that colored? I really am not much help.:thud::laughing:
I believe that it was a rear end "fart" to release pressure after I drove fast and it was too hot. AJ had some notes on it in a thread. He is a GOD to me..Or a DOG if you hold this up to a mirror..:laughing:

·
Premium Member
13,918 Posts
I believe that it was a rear end "fart" to release pressure after I drove fast and it was too hot. AJ had some notes on it in a thread. He is a GOD to me..Or a DOG if you hold this up to a mirror..:laughing:
:laughing:

Yes A.J. is the man for sure!:thumbsup: That sounds like the correct diagnosis given your description but again...what do I know.:laughing:

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
:laughing:

Yes A.J. is the man for sure!:thumbsup: That sounds like the correct diagnosis given your description but again...what do I know.:laughing:
It sounds as though you are very familiar with LUBRICANTS..:laughing:

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1 - 19 of 19 Posts