Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just moved from Texas to Arizona and with all tools in storage I made the Jiffy Lube mistake. Driving home noticed oil pressure was slowly dropping the next morning on the way to work it hit 0 as I parked at my job. Towed to a AAA shop by AAA tow truck so I could stay at work diagnosed as a bad motor by the shop who only removed the oil filter to make that $10,000 diagnosis.. picked it up from the shop and 30psi starting up drove 20 miles before pressure hit 0 and parked it. Next day drove the rest of the way home 30psi starting 0psi when stopping. Also, did another fluid filter change after and the oil color changes to a dark grey color after just a few miles. Found the oil bypass valve bent all up like someone took a hammer and punch to it.Would this broken valve cause this problem? Or can I expect something major breaking due to oil bypassing the oil filter and starting to knock?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry! 2001 C5 base 5.7 LS1 stock 103k miles bought @93k miles dealer had pulled bulb out of service engine light horror story situation

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so I guess the question at this point is who can build a tight motor in the Chandler AZ neighborhood. Or I guess I could buy an LS3 long block but then need to due a tune, but would otherwise work in my 2001 C5? Can't find an LS1 5.7 anywhere online?

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
43,110 Posts
Search LS1 crate motors on line. There are quite a few them This is one I picked at random but there are others
Chevrolet Performance 19370163 LS364/450 LS Crate Engine

Depending on how many pennies you want to spend. You could talk to your local auto parts store like NAPA and see if they know of any reputable builder in your area

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks but doesn't fit the 2 motors they have that do fit are both backordered with no date in sight not sure if stock electronics would work with all the extra HP but sure the stock transmission would be a week link in the chain wish my pockets were deeper Thanks for trying but this is a common scenario looking for a LS1 guess it was only used for a few years 01-04 or there about don't recall exact years

·
Registered
12 Posts
OK, I am coming into this a little late. But C5 are noted for having oil sending units problems. When I owned my C5 I replaced at least 4 of them. I never noticed your problem of pressure than dropping to zero. Mine would just fail and I would have zero pressure.

Did anyone verify with a operate oil pressure gage there was actually zero pressure? I just think that the sending unit is worth check out. Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just moved from Texas to Arizona and with all tools in storage I made the Jiffy Lube mistake. Driving home noticed oil pressure was slowly dropping the next morning on the way to work it hit 0 as I parked at my job. Towed to a AAA shop by AAA tow truck so I could stay at work diagnosed as a bad motor by the shop who only removed the oil filter to make that $10,000 diagnosis.. picked it up from the shop and 30psi starting up drove 20 miles before pressure hit 0 and parked it. Next day drove the rest of the way home 30psi starting 0psi when stopping. Also, did another fluid filter change after and the oil color changes to a dark grey color after just a few miles. Found the oil bypass valve bent all up like someone took a hammer and punch to it.Would this broken valve cause this problem? Or can I expect something major breaking due to oil bypassing the oil filter and starting to knock?
I have never experienced the ZERO oil pressure problem, but I have seen the grey oil phenomenon in a TransAm. It could be that some rear main or other sealant was poured into the motor to stop an oil leak of some kind. And if it is dark grey, it sounds like a lot of sealant. One bottle of sealant will normally turn the oil a light translucent grey. You may be able to get rid of this by getting your engine up to normal driving temperature, then drain and change the oil including the filter. If this does not get rid of all the grey sludge, you may have to remove the oil pan and clean it out (not an easy job on a C5 as the pan basically has two bowls in it that straddle the front suspension). It could also be related to your oil pressure drop on the gauge because it could be gumming up the oil pressure sender. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
128 Posts
OK, I am coming into this a little late. But C5 are noted for having oil sending units problems. When I owned my C5 I replaced at least 4 of them. I never noticed your problem of pressure than dropping to zero. Mine would just fail and I would have zero pressure.

Did anyone verify with a operate oil pressure gage there was actually zero pressure? I just think that the sending unit is worth check out. Good luck.
I would also check the gage itself jut to ensure it was reading correctly just a thought

·
Registered
12 Posts
Question if the oil pressure truly dropped to zero would the car not itself shut off or at least go into limp mode.
No, The gage read zero, but the car had oil pressure. Something that gave me a very uneasy feeling and I fixed very quickly.

This happened so ofter that it created a niche market for an aftermarket relocate kit for the sending unit. If I recall correctly it was sold by Ecklers. I bought one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Question if the oil pressure truly dropped to zero would the car not itself shut off or at least go into limp mode.
Yes it does shutdown and if i park it come back the next day starts off at 30 psi slowly drops to 0 and it is knocking now so looking for a motor now

·
Registered
190 Posts
Oh snap. I fill for you brother. I’ve been burnt before and know how much it sucks. I guess you have to decide if your going to make lemonade out of Lemons. Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts