Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First let me say I know I have a bad oil pressure sending unit. I replaced it once, it lasted for a couple of months, then started reading maxed out again. Its been like that for a few months now.

so yesterday while I was driving the needle went from 80 down to 0. I got the message that said low oil pressure, then it went back up to 80. Then the needle started going all over the place. it would go from 80 down to 40 then back to 80. then down to 0 up to 5 back to 0 up to 40 then back to 0. basically just randomly jumping around. The check gauges light comes on when it hits 0 then goes off when it goes back up. It did this for about 15 miles then went back to 80 and stayed.

at lunch I drove it few blocks and it stayed at 80.

Most of the trip home it stayed at 80, then all of a sudden started doing the same thing. again it lasted for about 15 miles then stopped.

The engine sounds normal, and it seems to run just fine.

My question is: is this one of the symptoms of a bad sending unit or do I possibly have another issue?

·
Registered
914 Posts
I would say YES it's the sending unit. That would be the first thing that i would change.:thumbsup:

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
you have a bad sending unit. 9/10 times it will automatially peg to max when it goes bad. IMO while you are replacing it, you should relocate it to a better place. Junkman has a thread about doing it somewhere on here. I'm going to do my own version when I put the new engine in using braided stainless lines.

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
you have a bad sending unit. 9/10 times it will automatially peg to max when it goes bad. IMO while you are replacing it, you should relocate it to a better place. Junkman has a thread about doing it somewhere on here. I'm going to do my own version when I put the new engine in using braided stainless lines.
It's a sticky at the top of C5Gen.

OP, there's nothing wrong anywhere else. It just the sensor going haywire. Mine does that too, but mine is a hell of a lot easier to change now. I'm just being lazy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts