Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

oil pressure question

914 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  010752 
#1 ·
when i first start my car, the oil pressure gauge is a little above the middle "40" which seems normal. during driving it is also right above 40, but when the engine gets hot and ive been driving for awhile, when i come to a stop light or idle, the pressure drops down a little below 40. the oil level is fine and the car seems to be running good. is this bad? and if so what could be the problem?

i know the oil gets thin when it gets hot, so it makes sense that the pressure would drop a little....but for some reason i dont remember this happening in the past

#2 ·
It's totally normal for your oil pressure to drop after the engine is warm. As long as you have pressure (any amount), you have no problems. I had a Ford P.U. years ago that had a very worn out engine. After it warmed up, the oil pressure would drop to 0 and the oil light would flicker on. I could hear the lower end start knocking. I drove that truck for years and years with it like that...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.