Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me if the OPS will leak enen if the oil pressure guage is reading normal (40-55)?

Gregg

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Anything is possible

Have you had a look ?

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
I can definitely tell you that they do leak. Have you looked at my sticky?

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
If you need to change the sender, heres a vid on how to do it without removing the intake manifold.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I've looked but couldnt tell. I have the intake off. It was really dirty as you can tell by the pics. Cleaned it up, have new intake gasket throttle body gasket, and valley gasket. Thought I would do this while I had the intake off so I wouldn't have to do it over. The knock sensors in the valley are bone dry. Never had codes on the them. In fact, never had any code but the AC, and that was a fuse. Hope the pics help, any thoughts would be appreciated. I was going to upload more than 1 pic but said that all I could do.
Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you take the OPS out, can you tell if it has been or was leaking. Hate to spend $75.00 for nothing.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
You should be able to tell without removing it - there will be oil around it?
Around and through it. All you have to do is unplug the connector that leads to the gauge and look at the top of the sensor.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Around and through it. All you have to do is unplug the connector that lead to the gauge and look at the top of the sensor.
It leaks from the top? It looks clean now but I cleaned it. If you look at the pic (cam position sensor) that is what it looked like before I cleaned it. BTW, see the oil to the left? Where is that coming from?
Had the same thing at the right front of the valley cover.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Junkman.....Would that be leaking from the manifold gakets. Would the new gaskets solve that or is there something else I need to do? Do you think I need to change the valley cover gasket?
Thanks,
Gregg

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Thanks Junkman.....Would that be leaking from the manifold gakets. Would the new gaskets solve that or is there something else I need to do? Do you think I need to change the valley cover gasket?
Thanks,
Gregg
Are you either smelling burning oil or is it actually reaching the ground? Look at my EOP sensor sticky. Were your heads as dirty as mine?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Here is the top of the sensor, completely dry. The bottom only had a few drops on it. I would think that it is not leaking, wouldn't you? I don't know if the valley cover gasket is leaking but I didn't think so. The knock sensors were completely dry, in fact the front sensor even had a little rust on it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
You have a lot more garbage in there than I did. I clean my engine often and as you can see, it was dirty but not that bad. In this picture, I had over 100,000 miles on the engine.

You can definitely see where the EOP sensor was leaking.

I think that changing the manifold gaskets should do you fine. Your EOP sensor looks dry as a bone to me, unlike mine. I wouldn't break any other seals unless you know for a fact that they are leaking. You may as well clean the throttle body and change that gasket too. That's all I did and then I thoroughly cleaned up my engine, making sure that I didn't knock any crap inside the engine.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That's what I did, just change the intake gaskets and throttle body. Put it back together, fired right up. Don't see any leaks yet. Mine has right at 117,000 on it & this is the first time the intake has ever been off. Believe it or not, it still ran like a champ. Nothing has ever been changed except for the routine stuff; i.e. oil, filter plugs, brakes pads, etc. It's been a great car, never had but one code (ac fuse), that's it. So I definitely can't complain. The engine compartment like the rest of the car is immaculate, just never had a reason to pull the intake. All the sensors are still original.
Would like to thank you & all the other guys for your patience & help. If you ever need anything, I'll try as best I can.
Gregg

HooYa......

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
I think you're good to go. Glad it worked out for you. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts