Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So when I got my car it had around 74564 miles on it since i got it I added around 4349 miles to it but I noticed from the first oil change that every 1864 miles the low oil light goes on the first time I added a bottle that was more than enough so I am guessing its loosing half a bottle every 1864 miles I use synthetic oil (mobile 1) now I had the engine checked 3 times they all say the engine is in great condition I did have an over heating problem witch I just fixed (changed the radiator) there is no blue smoke coming out of the exhaust and when I took it to the MVPI they tested the carbon emissions from the exhaust and it was normal the car has no weird noises just a when I start it some noise like when ur you blowing over a bottle and it does have a really small crack on the passenger side header that's what the guy from the first inspection told me beside that it runs smooth on the road no stalling or anything when accelerating so any idea of what the problem might be ???

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
any obvious external leaks?
Look inside your intake also to see if it's pulling oil from the valve cover area into the intake. It will be veryy nasty looking inside the throttle body area.

any oil in the radiator fluid?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
any obvious external leaks?
Look inside your intake also to see if it's pulling oil from the valve cover area into the intake. It will be veryy nasty looking inside the throttle body area.

any oil in the radiator fluid?
non of the above I don't remember the throttle body area was nasty like it was dirty but not oily dirty ohh and one thing I forgot to add I don't drive at high speeds like maximum is 120 km some times for a a few minutes cause its above the speed limit now , maybe its the pcv valve ????!!!

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
non of the above I don't remember the throttle body area was nasty like it was dirty but not oily dirty ohh and one thing I forgot to add I don't drive at high speeds like maximum is 120 km some times for a a few minutes cause its above the speed limit now , maybe its the pcv valve ????!!!
could be the PCV. check it and the hoses. If it's really bad look to see if the valve covers have the little oil baffle under the PCV.

If it's really bad you will definitely want to spray some cleaner into your intake to clean it up.

If it's not bad your next step would be to look at the spark plugs and see if they are fouled.

after that it's a game of hide and seek if your exhaust is fairly clean.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
could be the PCV. check it and the hoses. If it's really bad look to see if the valve covers have the little oil baffle under the PCV.

If it's really bad you will definitely want to spray some cleaner into your intake to clean it up.

If it's not bad your next step would be to look at the spark plugs and see if they are fouled.

after that it's a game of hide and seek if your exhaust is fairly clean.
the spark plugs are OK that's what the mechanic said when I asked him but it wouldn't hurt if I checked them my self .. is it hard to remove them my self???? and what do u mean exactly by clean exhaust ??

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
if you aren't blowing sooty smoke.
Changing them isn't hard. some are easier to get to than others.

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
pm me so I'll know to check this weekend on your progress

1 - 8 of 8 Posts