Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own an '82 w/ 45,000 miles. It is my every day driver and has given no problems for the year and a half I've owned it. I have the engine flushed and the oil changed every 3,000 miles. 2 days ago it started leaking oil...BAD. I took it to the place where I have my oil changed. Oil was spraying out from the oil filter gasket. They removed the filter, found it "clogged with sludge". They offered no explaination for how something like that could happen. The manager could only offer.."there's got to be something wrong with your engine". Is there anybody out there who's experienced or heard of something similar?

·
Registered
185 Posts
If you have your engine flushed everytime you have the oil changed I cannot imagine having the oil filter be plugged up. Im assuming you change the filter with every oil change. There are only a few logical places contaminants can come from. If you havent had any major engine work done lately it either entered through one of the other filters (meaning one must have failed) or your mechanic has seriously messed something up. I would try draining the oil and replacing the filter and after a short distance checking the oil again. If the engine has given no other sign of failure i cant think of any way this could have happened.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Look at the underside of your oil fill cap, If it's clean they probably double gasketed your oil filter or didn't tighten it properly and their blowing smoke up your ass to cover their ass.
If there is build-up on the underside of your oil fill cap you might have a "sludge" problem but I've NEVER seen that make the filter leak!!
hopefully your problem is solved

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oil....

Thanks for the replies. The oil filler cap is clean. And yes, the filter gets changed every time I change the oil and flush the engine. The only thing I can think of is that there was some sludge buildup somewhere in the engine that finially worked loose after several flushes and clogged the filter. It didn't leak any yesterday or today so far, so hoping that fixed it. Thanks again.

·
Registered
79 Posts
JCswm is right on the money IMO. A few years ago I hastily changed the oil filter on my other GM car. The old oil filter gasket stuck to the engine without my noticing it. After installing the new filter on top, I noticed an oil leak in my driveway. After checking everything else, I concluded it was the filter. Removing it uncovered the problem and proved my suspicions correct. I think those mechanics made the mistake and blamed it on your engine. That won't be the first time someone made an excuse to cover their error.

·
Extra Crispy
5,119 Posts
We had a 79 Ford Van that this happened with. We also changed every 3 months. It was later blamed on using Quaker State oil. Mech said he had several cars with the same problem. Other makes and models. All had used Quaker State oil or the shop used the oil. I grew up with QS oil and every since will not put one drop in any of my motors.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update

Well, you learn something new every day. Still leaking. Took it to another garage today and they found that the oil filter mount was loose...so the leak was coming from that, actually just above where the filter screws in. Tightened 2 bolts and it was done. Now if it ever happens again, we all know what to check.
Thanks again for all your replies.

Now I have a secondary question. How the heck do you check the fluid in the diff. Seems like an awefully tight fit up there.

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
Re: Update

Davidat911 said:
Well, you learn something new every day. Still leaking. Took it to another garage today and they found that the oil filter mount was loose...so the leak was coming from that, actually just above where the filter screws in. Tightened 2 bolts and it was done. Now if it ever happens again, we all know what to check.
Thanks again for all your replies.
Great news! I wish all problems could be solved by tightening 2 bolts!:laughing:

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
It's a REAL tight fit.... But that's it.... pull the plug out and stick your finger in!!! If you get fluid on your finger it's full And DAMN does that stuff stink!!

·
Registered
79 Posts
David, the differential cover has a square head plug on the passenger side. Remove it and put your finger in the hole. Fluid should be near the bottom of the opening. There is no drain, you need to siphon the fluid out. Use SAE 90 weight oil for use with limited slip aka posi rears. GM recommends checking it every 6000 miles.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, I've asked several times when having the oil changed and have been told: 1) can't check it without removing the rear suspension, or 2) they don't have the right tool. I'm not going to argue with that so I've just let it go. When they had it on the rack Friday fixing the oil filter recepticle I was looking around the diff and yeah, it's a tight fit back there, thanks for the directions. This is my first Vette, I love it. So far it's been a great experience but I always dread major work being done cause people at garages tell me "I've never worked on a car this old before". Well, I'm sure you C3 guys have similar experiences, I'm not telling you anyting you don't aleady know. This is a great site.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts