Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, here in South Texas the sun is out full and the outside temp on my hvac displays 87. I kept the windows rolled up and took a cruise on loop 610 around Houston. Got caught in some stop and go traffic (10 mpg or less) for 30 mins or so.

I got my AC set to Auto with 68 degrees dialed in. I noticed my temp gauge (the manual one) getting to 200 or a bit above. Vette was still running fine.

Decided to check the DIC for temps on all my fluids.

Oil Temp: 203
Coolant temp: 189
Trans fluid: 185

My oil temp very seldom gets over 200 degrees, but I rarely get caught up in traffic jams.
Is this oil temp of 203 degrees okay? Somewhere I read the oil works the best when it is at least 200. Care to shed some light on this please?

·
Premium Member
15,763 Posts
Okay, here in South Texas the sun is out full and the outside temp on my hvac displays 87. I kept the windows rolled up and took a cruise on loop 610 around Houston. Got caught in some stop and go traffic (10 mpg or less) for 30 mins or so.

I got my AC set to Auto with 68 degrees dialed in. I noticed my temp gauge (the manual one) getting to 200 or a bit above. Vette was still running fine.

Decided to check the DIC for temps on all my fluids.

Oil Temp: 203
Coolant temp: 189
Trans fluid: 185

My oil temp very seldom gets over 200 degrees, but I rarely get caught up in traffic jams.
Is this oil temp of 203 degrees okay? Somewhere I read the oil works the best when it is at least 200. Care to shed some light on this please?

That temp is fine, Actually, your oil temp should get to about 212* - 220* as this burns off any water condensation in your oil.
Here in PHX my temps usually run around the 180-200 for coolant and about 208-220 for oil :thumbsup:

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That temp is fine, Actually, your oil temp should get to about 212* - 220* as this burns off any water condensation in your oil.
Here in PHX my temps usually run around the 180-200 for coolant and about 208-220 for oil :thumbsup:
Yea, the heat here can get up to 109 degrees or so. It is only 85 now. So I guess my oil temp on the DIC will get possibly close to yours. I just hate gettin stuck in a traffic jam with with scalding weather out and have my AC on.
I had a trans cooler installed and it made quite a differance. I have a 3800 stall converter installed and they will generate more heat than the stock converter.

Plus I got major cam lope while idling, even more when it is in drive. I do not think my Vette has ever had a radiator flush and cleaned. I will look into going that before the heat wave really gets here.

I been through Phoenix, Scottsdale, and many towns in AZ. I know what your heat is like. Thanks for the reply.

Darrell

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your numbers are similar to mine. No worries.:thumbsup:
Well if they are close to yours then I should have no worries.
Patrick, I read all the info on the Pfadt install and what they are capable of. Don't know if I can swing for both the sway bars and coilovers. I can do the coilovers in the latter part of the week. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
:agree: Your Cool... Pun intended.:laughing:

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:agree: Your Cool... Pun intended.:laughing:
Yea, I am cool I guess. Sittin in a radical Corvette in freeway traffic. *PRICELESS*

Thanks iburke,
:drink:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts