Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:huh: Ok, now that I've gotten over my fear of the engine running hotter than my other vehicles I have another question for you guys. Grumpyvette has said the oil temp should run up around 215* or so. Why doesn't my 85 ever reach those kinds of temps. The closest it's come is about 205* and that's after I had driven it for a while. Generally it runs about 195*-200*. I've only had my Vette for a couple of months and it appears the person that owned it before me had put quite a few aftermarket parts on it. Could he have done something to keep the oil temps down for some reason or is there another problem that I might want to be aware of? :huh:

·
Registered
257 Posts
What brand oil are you using? Those oil temps don't look real bad to me.

·
Super Moderator
8,548 Posts
it takes approximately 214F-215F to burn all the moisture out of oil, that moisture comes from outside air when the engine cools and from combustion when the engines not up too temp. and can form acids and rust if it sits, if your cars driven frequently IE it seldom sits for several days at a time your unlikely to have significant moisture forming, especially if the cars garaged most of the time its not in use.
short trips seldom allow the engine to fully reach a stable temp, the state of tune,the outside temps, the amount and type of oil and the temp switch on the fans , the T-STAT, allow or prevent the oil reaching full temp,the RPMS and LOADS the enge sees effects the temps
If you drive the car frequently and seldom let it sit for days at a time AND change oil fairly regularly (3000-4500 miles between changes) you may be fine with the slightly lower temps ,especially if the cars garaged but you can easily check the condition of your engine, pull a valve cover and inspect its inside surface carefully, it should be clean, possiably stained but not have minor acid etching and there should be no sludge , build up,or chocolate milk or waxey film, if there is your engines not running hot enought or your not changing the oil,filter ETC. frequently

to raise temp install a 190F-200F T-stat, oil temp generally runs 15F-25F higher than COOLANT temps

1 - 3 of 3 Posts