Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So this is weird.. usually the 86 is parked on a flat surface.. this time.. its been on an incline on my driveway... so i go to start her and notice smoke coming from under the distributor...( never did this before ) anyways it doesn't smell like coolant so rule that out.. I have an oil leak and trans leak in 2 different place..

the trans leak is towards the front of the pan (replacing filter and gasket tmrw)
the oil leak is ??? from the rear of the block I assume (new valve cover gaskets, and the sides of the block are nice n clean) the car has been sitting on the driveway for 5 days.

I am going to get her on jacks stands and clean the hell out of her and check. Only problems I seem to have a black widow problem under my car.. I am finding new webs from different areas under my car attached to the concrete... already killed a nice big one, but I know there is at least 5 more. And getting under there in a tight space while on J-stands knowing there is black widows is freaky!:lookinup: I should spray the hose under there huh? Any advice on cleaning the bottom half of the motor off?

---> Just as a note.. i bought this car in Jan 2011, and before that it had been sitting for who know how long... and I have only been driving it around my neighborhood streets for testing purposes... so I have no idea what could have cause the smoke, maybe the sending unit or something.

·
Registered
424 Posts
i cant be of much help. ive never once owned a vehicle that didnt leak or seep something.... including my 07 silverado...
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just was interesting how much it was smoking.. but that is probably 5 days worth of oil burning off the engine/exhaust.

but it has been sitting since January and even before that with the previous owner.. the smoking problem only happened when it was left at an incline... could this be a clue to the problem?

notice a trail of trans fluid towards the rear of the car too... looks like it was drippin off the resonator or something.. havent gone under to look yet.

Any ideas how I rid the black widow problem under my car?:lookinup:

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
Just was interesting how much it was smoking.. but that is probably 5 days worth of oil burning off the engine/exhaust.

but it has been sitting since January and even before that with the previous owner.. the smoking problem only happened when it was left at an incline... could this be a clue to the problem?

notice a trail of trans fluid towards the rear of the car too... looks like it was drippin off the resonator or something.. havent gone under to look yet.

Any ideas how I rid the black widow problem under my car?:lookinup:

If leaking from behind dizzy, check to see if the oil pressure senders are leaking, check the rear of the intake (very elusive and had me for a few weeks) Check that you installed the rocker covers with the gasket flat-- sometimes they get hit by surrounding stuff on install in our crowded engine compartment.

For the spider if no garage could probably still set two bombs off under the engine area and the drive shaft tunnel. I'd imagine they would still fill up enough to kill something even out side.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sweet will do for the widows...

any advice on how to clean up all the gunk behind the block?

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
sweet will do for the widows...

any advice on how to clean up all the gunk behind the block?
heavy duty degreaser, a pressure washer and some elbow grease?

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks like its a trans leak, had it towed a shop today to get her timed and new cats... and when tow had the car at an incline, trans fluid was dripping down from the resonator and from the front of the pan... made a thin stream down his bed. Anyways.. I have a new pan gasket and filter I am going to put on today, so well see whats up...:lookinup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts