Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I got my oil changed at one of those quick lube places. Asked about the oil percent inidcator and they told me it was just some sort of random number generator that ends up letting you go aobut 10,000 miles before an oil change and not 3000 like they want me to do and just look at the sticker on the windshield to come in. Who knows what the oil life indicator really does and should we follow that or the advise of the lube place??

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
First of all I would not let any quick lube place touch a corvette. They only want your money. The only way they get it is to lie to you. I don't think GM would spend research money on putting a random number generator in there computer. Plus I think the Federal government would be all over their ass for doing that. It also would cause them some serious warranty issues. After all you only have to follow there maintenance recommendations to maintain their warranty coverage.

It goes back to the commercial saying "Pay me now or pay me later"

In a direct answer to your question. They are full of ****. Follow the recommendation of your owners manual. And use a shop that you know you can trust.

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,746 Posts
Cars with dinosaur oil are typically changed every 3000-5000 miles. Newer cars with synthetic oils go much further between changes. The oil life percentage is figured by speed, both engine and ambient temperatures, rate of acceleration, RPM fluctuations, etc. Not random at all.

·
Registered
287 Posts
My chevy truck had the oil life indicator and it actually read crankshaft revolutions along with other factors to determine when the oil should be changed.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
First of all I would not let any quick lube place touch a corvette. They only want your money. The only way way they get it is to lie to you. I don't think GM would spend research money on putting a random number generator in there computer. Plus I think the Federal government would be all over their ass for doing that. It also would cause them some serious warranty issues. After all you only have to follow there maintenance recommendations to maintain their warranty coverage.

It goes back to the commercial saying "Pay me now or pay me later"

In a direct answer to your question. They are full of ****. Follow the recommendation of your owners manual. And use a shop that you know you can trust.
I agree with everything said here. The only thing I would add is, even with uisng the recommended type of oil for our Corvette's, you may want to change a little more often than it says you need to. JMHO. Mine is a daily driver and I think it would have went 10k+ before the indicator said it needed changing. I just couldn't do that. I had it done at a little over 6k. I couldn't go any further. :laughing: My local dealer said you can go by the indicator, but they didn't recommend going that long either, but then again, they make money from oil changes. And I don't think GM would put anything on the car that would cause harm. Think of the potential law suits they would be exposigng themselves do if they did something like that.

Don't listen to them! Go by your car, the recommendation of GM and your gut feeling. I personally would trust any place like Rippy Lube!

·
Premium Member
6,667 Posts
moore_rb said:
I worked on one of the development projects when GM was developing the Oil Life Index algorithm for the GenIII engines, so I have some background here.
This is a good read.:thumbsup:

FWIW, I change mine @ 25% by the monitor, thats ~5k on a daily driver.

·
Registered
287 Posts

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
I use a lot of factors in changing my oil. I use the DIC indicator. I also look at mileage,length of time,condition of oil on the dipstick. My vette is not a daily driver so I end up changing oil about 3 times a year.

·
Registered
508 Posts
This is a really good post.

I have often wondered about the Oil Life % readout. My 2003 Z06 is NOT a daily driver, it only has 21K miles on it. It sits in the garage most of the time. However, I am really fanatical about having the oil changed, a little OCD I guess. I generally change my oil every 2500-4000 miles, and yes I use Mobil 1.

·
Registered
258 Posts
This is a good read.:thumbsup:

FWIW, I change mine @ 25% by the monitor, thats ~5k on a daily driver.
:agree:

That's my cut-off point too. I don't track my car, but I do drive aggressively. However, I remember talking with a GM engineer who was personally involved in the development of the C5 oil life algorithm. It takes into account: cold starts, jack rabbit accelerations, operating temps, etc. According to him you can safely run you life down to 0% (they built in a 10% fudge factor). I'd point to the thread, but it was on another board <hanging head in shame>. I was amazed at the number of components involved and the history maintained, just to calculate the oil life. Until then I assumed it was just a miles driver vs. time ratio, just to give us a pretty llittle number to look at. In reality it's an amazingly accurate tool.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts