Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When installing the oilpan back on the car one of the bolts broke, its the one in the middle on the left side of the pan.
Will it leak? I mean i would probably have to spend hours getting the rest of the bolt out so will the rest of the bolts be enough to avoid leakage???
Would save me a couple of hours ;)

·
Registered
597 Posts
it MAY be ok, but I wouldnt chance it.

think about it this way, is it worth risking possibly runing your engine?

its better to be safe than sorry.

·
Registered
597 Posts
keep a extremely close eye on it then. if it starts leaking it will most likely continue to get worse and it could get bad fast.

just tryin to look out for ya.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Will it leak?
I have run with some of the the middle bolts out of the pan with no problems.
The late design pan with the reinforcing rail gives good even clamping along the the whole gasket surface; not just adjacent to the bolts like on the older style pans without the rail where it was not uncommon to have the gasket pop out between bolts

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I agree. Should be fine if enough sealant was used.:thumbsup:
You don't use sealant on the neoprene pan gaskets. Just wipe some oil on them and you get to reuse them next time round

·
Registered
110 Posts
i use RTV on the one-piece gaskets, learned that lesson the hard way.

the first time, i followed the instructions, it leaked at the sides and the front. took the pan off, RTV'd everything both sides, and voila, no leaks.

no, i didn't go hog-crazy on the RTV, just a thin film for the requisite insurance.

and i do like the one-piece gaskets for sure. but I just use RTV with them, sides, front & back, both sides.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts